What is the average value of a simple harmonic function over one cycle?

In summary: So I just want to make sure I can set the integral up like this:integral from 0 to 2π (A cos(θ)) dθ basically is it alright to convert A cos(wt - phi) ----> A cos (θ)Yes, a single cycle is one where the phase advances by exactly 2 pi. In fact you can take any integration interval from x to x + 2pi.If you want to do it completely officially, you can relate the period to \omega, set up the integration from t = 0 to t = <one period further>, and make a substitution (in the mathematical sense, aka change of variables) \theta = \ome
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"A particle of mass m executes one-dimensional simple harmonic oscillation
under the action of a conservative force such that its instantaneous x coordinate
is x(t) = a cos(ωt − φ).

Find the average values of x, x^2, x', and (x')2 over a single cycle of the oscillation.
Find the average values of the kinetic and potential energies of the
particle over a single cycle of the oscillation."

Homework Equations

Average value of a function = integral of a function / interval of the integral

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just want to make sure I can set the integral up like this:

integral from 0 to 2π (A cos(θ)) dθ

basically is it alright to convert A cos(wt - phi) ----> A cos (θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a single cycle is one where the phase advances by exactly 2 pi. In fact you can take any integration interval from x to x + 2pi.

If you want to do it completely officially, you can relate the period to [itex]\omega[/itex], set up the integration from t = 0 to t = <one period further>, and make a substitution (in the mathematical sense, aka change of variables) [itex]\theta = \omega t - \phi[/itex].

CompuChip said:
Yes, a single cycle is one where the phase advances by exactly 2 pi. In fact you can take any integration interval from x to x + 2pi.

If you want to do it completely officially, you can relate the period to [itex]\omega[/itex], set up the integration from t = 0 to t = <one period further>, and make a substitution (in the mathematical sense, aka change of variables) [itex]\theta = \omega t - \phi[/itex].

but if you do that substitution wouldn't you be left with a 1/w when you substitute dt with dθ

Hi Eric! :smile:
Eric_meyers said:
but if you do that substitution wouldn't you be left with a 1/w when you substitute dt with dθ

Yes. :smile:

(but why didn't you just integrate wrt t in the first place? :confused:)

^Well because I didn't understand how to write my interval in terms of t, but I guess I can just set up my integral from 0 to t + 2*pi??

Nope.

When you have an oscillator with angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex], what is its period (it should be a standard formula, so if you can't derive it look it up).

CompuChip said:
Nope.

When you have an oscillator with angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex], what is its period (it should be a standard formula, so if you can't derive it look it up).

Oh it's 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/[itex]\omega[/itex] which makes sense because the [itex]\omega[/itex] cancel and I'm left with 2[itex]\pi[/itex] which is just the same behavior I started with at t = 0

So I could then set up my integral from t = 0 to t = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/[itex]\omega[/itex]

Yes, exactly.
[In fact, you can set it up from any value t = t0 you like, to [itex]t = t_0 + 2\pi/\omega[/itex], you will see that t0 cancels out in the final result).

Now do the integration, performing a change of variables (substitution) to [itex]\theta \equiv \omega t - \phi[/itex]. You will need to take the Jacobian factor into account ([itex]d\theta = \cdots \, \dt[/itex]) as well as the change of integration limits. You will see how things work out rather nicely.

What is the average value of a function?

The average value of a function is the average of all the y-values of the function over a given interval. It represents the overall trend of the function over that interval.

How is the average value of a function calculated?

The average value of a function is calculated by taking the integral of the function over the given interval, and then dividing it by the length of the interval. In other words, it is the area under the curve divided by the width of the interval.

Why is the average value of a function important?

The average value of a function is important because it gives us an overall understanding of the behavior of the function over a specific interval. It can also be useful in applications such as calculating average velocity or finding the average cost of a product.

Can the average value of a function be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function can be negative. This can happen when the function has both positive and negative values over the given interval, and the negative values outweigh the positive values.

How is the average value of a function related to the mean value theorem?

The average value of a function is related to the mean value theorem in that it is the value guaranteed by the theorem. The mean value theorem states that at some point within the interval, the instantaneous rate of change of the function will be equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.