1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value of f(x,y) = xy in quarter circle x^2 + y^2 < 1 in Q1.

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem:

Find the average value of [tex]f\left(x, y\right) = x\;y[/tex] for the quarter circle [tex]x^2 + y^2 \le 1[/tex] in the first quadrant.

Here is what I have:

Average value equation is [tex]\frac{1}{Area\;of\;R} \iint_{R} f\left(x, y\right) dA[/tex]

[tex]f\left(x, y\right) = x\;y = \left(r\;\cos\theta\right)\left(r\;\sin\theta\right)[/tex]

The area of one quarter of a unti circle is [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex], right?

[tex]Average = \frac{4}{\pi}\;\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1}\;\left(r\;\cos\theta\right)\left(r\;\sin\theta\right)\;r\;dr\;d\theta = \frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2
    Absolutely, and good job remembering the jacobian in polar coordinates.
  4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Thank you

Many thanks. I will probably be checking a few others before I am through.

I wonder if I should make a thread for "Check my Calculus Answers Please" and put them all in there or something? On the other hand, I think that individually posting each problem gets quicker results and is easier to search (i guess).
  5. Apr 13, 2005 #4
    In order to get useful feedback and responses, it's best to title your threads appropriately--- putting something like "check my work..." generally isn't too appealing, so you're probably right--- that is, make threads that are individual for a specific problem, with the statement and reasoning placed in the first post.

You have been doing this but just so others know!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?