Average value of f(x,y) = xy in quarter circle x^2 + y^2 < 1 in Q1.

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
Here is the problem:

Find the average value of [tex]f\left(x, y\right) = x\;y[/tex] for the quarter circle [tex]x^2 + y^2 \le 1[/tex] in the first quadrant.

Here is what I have:

Average value equation is [tex]\frac{1}{Area\;of\;R} \iint_{R} f\left(x, y\right) dA[/tex]

[tex]f\left(x, y\right) = x\;y = \left(r\;\cos\theta\right)\left(r\;\sin\theta\right)[/tex]

The area of one quarter of a unti circle is [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex], right?

[tex]Average = \frac{4}{\pi}\;\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1}\;\left(r\;\cos\theta\right)\left(r\;\sin\theta\right)\;r\;dr\;d\theta = \frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Answers and Replies

Absolutely, and good job remembering the jacobian in polar coordinates.

Thank you

Many thanks. I will probably be checking a few others before I am through.

I wonder if I should make a thread for "Check my Calculus Answers Please" and put them all in there or something? On the other hand, I think that individually posting each problem gets quicker results and is easier to search (i guess).

In order to get useful feedback and responses, it's best to title your threads appropriately--- putting something like "check my work..." generally isn't too appealing, so you're probably right--- that is, make threads that are individual for a specific problem, with the statement and reasoning placed in the first post.

You have been doing this but just so others know!