Average Velocity Graph: Determine its Values

In summary, an average velocity graph is a visual representation of an object's changing velocity over time. To determine the values on the graph, the average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time elapsed. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, and the area under the graph can indicate the object's displacement. Common units of measurement for an average velocity graph include meters per second, kilometers per hour, and miles per hour for velocity, and seconds, minutes, or hours for time.
Toxage
Graph :

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicslp1.png

or

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/766378/physics.JPG.html

Questions:

Determine its average velocity between the following times.

1. t = 25.0 s and t = 30.0s

2. t = 35.0 s and t = 50.0 s

The Attempt at a Solution

average velocity = overall displacement / overall time

1. 6m/5 sec = 1. m/s

2. 10 m / 15 s = 2/3 ms

My teacher uses on online homework program called Webassign, and both of these showed up as wrong. I don't know why. If anyone could help me that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Toxage said:
Graph :

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicslp1.png

or

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/766378/physics.JPG.html

Questions:

Determine its average velocity between the following times.

1. t = 25.0 s and t = 30.0s

2. t = 35.0 s and t = 50.0 s

The Attempt at a Solution

average velocity = overall displacement / overall time

1. 6m/5 sec = 1. m/s

2. 10 m / 15 s = 2/3 ms

My teacher uses on online homework program called Webassign, and both of these showed up as wrong. I don't know why. If anyone could help me that would be awesome.

On the first it looks like 8m not 6m. It will likely not think it's good if off by 10%.

Check your sign on the second one.

Hello there,

I can provide you with a more detailed explanation of how to determine the average velocity from a graph and why your answers may have been marked as incorrect.

To determine the average velocity between two points on a graph, we need to calculate the slope of the line connecting those two points. This is because the slope of a line represents the rate of change, or in this case, the velocity.

In your first question, the two points are t = 25.0 s and t = 30.0 s. To calculate the slope, we need to find the change in y (displacement) over the change in x (time). In this case, the change in y is 6m (the displacement between the two points) and the change in x is 5s (the time between the two points). Therefore, the slope (or average velocity) is 6m/5s = 1.2 m/s. This is the correct answer.

Similarly, for your second question, the two points are t = 35.0 s and t = 50.0 s. The change in y is 10m and the change in x is 15s, so the slope (or average velocity) is 10m/15s = 0.667 m/s. This is also the correct answer.

It is possible that the online homework program you are using is looking for more precise answers, such as 1.20 m/s and 0.667 m/s. I would recommend checking with your teacher or the program's instructions to see if this is the case. It is also important to make sure you are using the correct units in your calculations (meters for displacement and seconds for time).

I hope this helps clarify the concept of calculating average velocity from a graph. Keep up the good work in your science studies!

1. What is an average velocity graph?

An average velocity graph is a visual representation of how an object's velocity changes over time. It shows the average velocity of an object at different points in time, typically on a coordinate plane with time on the x-axis and velocity on the y-axis.

2. How do you determine the values on an average velocity graph?

To determine the values on an average velocity graph, you need to calculate the average velocity over a specific time interval. This is done by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time elapsed during that interval.

3. What does the slope of an average velocity graph represent?

The slope of an average velocity graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration.

4. How can you use an average velocity graph to analyze an object's motion?

An average velocity graph can provide valuable information about an object's motion. By observing the slope of the graph, you can determine the object's acceleration. Additionally, the area under the graph can represent the object's displacement during a specific time interval.

5. What are some common units of measurement for an average velocity graph?

The units of measurement for an average velocity graph depend on the units of measurement used for time and velocity. Some common units include meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph) for velocity and seconds (s), minutes (min), or hours (h) for time.