Limits & Continuity of xsin(1/x) and Removable Discontinuity: Explained

In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of x*sin(1/x) is E, or 1, because when we represent the function as sin(1/x)/(1/x) and take the limit, it comes out to be 1. In addition, the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches zero can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule or the Taylor expansion of sin(1/x). And finally, the derivative of sin(x) can be derived from the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches zero.
storygeek

Homework Statement

27. limit as x head towards infinity of xsin(1/x) is
A 0
B infinity
C nonexistent
D -1
E 1
from barron's ap calc 7ed, Chapter two review questions p.37
how come the answer is E? Isn't it A b/c the limit equals infinity or neg infinity times zero? the Book explains that we can represent x sin (1/x) as sin(1/x)/(1/x). when we take the limit of this, it comes out to be E.

29. a function is given, one with a removable disconinuity if x is not = 1 and y=4 when x = 1. The question asks what is true? I. limf (x goes to 1) exhists? II. f(1) exhists. III. f is continuous at x = 1.
The answer turns out that I is true. how come it is not I and II?

Homework Equations

limits and continuity knowledge

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to understand what a limit is. It's not the value when x *equals* zero, it's the value of the function as x *approaches* (getting arbitrarily close) to some value. Thus, you never actually have a value of zero to multiply by. For example, consider the limit as x approaches 2 of (x^2-4)/(x-2). The numerator is clearly zero if you "plug in" 2. Of course, so is the denominator. However, "plug in" a numbers such as 1.9, 1.99, 1.999, 1.9999 into the function. Clearly, the value of the function is getting closer to 4. It's easy to see this is true, because you can factor the numerator and the denominator.

Last edited:
Have you learned L'Hopital's rule yet? Also, this problem is related to the limit as x approaches zero of sin(x)/x.

Also note: the example I gave above with x^2-4 over x-2 is an example of a function with a removeable discontinuity. As you get arbitrarily close to a value of 2 for x [and this is important - on either side of 2], you'll find that the f(x) values get close to 4. In fact, you may in class take a more rigorous approach to limits, in which case, you'll determine that if I state you have to be within a billionth of the limit, can you find a close enough x-value? Since you can factor the numerator and cancel it with the denominator, this function is, in fact, *ALMOST* the same as f(x)=x+2. The difference is that in the original function, x cannot equal zero. Thus, you could rewrite the function as:
f(x)=x+2, for all values of x except 2. At 2, you have a hole, aka removeable discontinuity. Think about where the y value is, if you're really close to 2 (either at 1.9999999995 or 2.0000000005, or even closer.)

Last edited:
or use the taylor expansion of sin(1/x) and get the answer immediately.

What's the limit of sin(x)/x as x goes to zero? Some time is spent on that in the Calculus.

Well then, what's the difference of the limit as x goes to infinity of [tex]\frac{sin(1/x)}{1/x}[/tex]?

I think the easiest way is re writing it is [sin(1/x)]/[1/x]. To make an easier read, let u=1/x , then as the limit x approaches infinity, u appoaches zero.

So we figure the limit of (sin u)/u as u appraches zero. This is easy to evaluate using L'Hopitals Rule. I'm afraid I don't see how using Taylor Series will make the answer anymore obvious.

Edit: He beat me to it..

If I remember correctly the sin(x)/x is generally gotten from the definition of the derivative [tex]\frac{sin(x+h)-sin(x)}{h}[/tex] as h goes to zero.

This is important since at that point we do not know what the derivative of the sin is. That may or may not bear on the matter above

robert Ihnot said:
If I remember correctly the sin(x)/x is generally gotten from the definition of the derivative [tex]\frac{sin(x+h)-sin(x)}{h}[/tex] as h goes to zero.

This is important since at that point we do not know what the derivative of the sin is. That may or may not bear on the matter above
Interesting. In those calculus books I have seen [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{sin x}{x}[/itex] is derived geometrically and then used to prove the deriivative!

HallsofIvy: Interesting. In those calculus books I have seen is derived geometrically and then used to prove the deriivative!

I reallly meant to say the same thing. If we can handle sinx(cos(h)-1)/h, we are left with cos(x)sin(h)/h goes to cos(x), once we know the limit of sin(h)/h. (Also, we take sinx(cosx-1)/h and multiply top and bottom by cosx+1 to get [sin(x)/h][-sin^2(x)]/[(cos(h)+1)]) which arrives at 1*-0=0. Here too we employ sinx/x goes to 1.)

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a is the value that f(x) gets closer and closer to as x gets closer and closer to a. It represents the behavior of the function near a specific point.

2. How do we determine the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be determined by evaluating the function at values of x that are very close to the given point a. If the values approach a specific number, then that number is the limit. If the values approach different numbers from the left and right sides, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is continuity?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, there are no gaps or jumps in the graph of the function at that point.

4. How does the function xsin(1/x) exhibit a removable discontinuity?

The function xsin(1/x) has a removable discontinuity at x=0 because the limit of the function as x approaches 0 exists, but the value of the function at x=0 does not exist. This means that there is a hole in the graph at x=0, where the function is undefined.

5. How can we make the function xsin(1/x) continuous at x=0?

We can make the function xsin(1/x) continuous at x=0 by redefining the function to be equal to 0 at x=0. This means that we are "filling in" the hole in the graph and making the function continuous at that point. Alternatively, we can also take the limit of the function as x approaches 0 and use that value as the value of the function at x=0, thus making the function continuous.