Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    G. Medvedev "Chernobyl Notebook"

This is the best book about Chernobyl, in my opinion. I read and reread it many times back then in 1990s when it was first published. It gives both a good technical description about the disaster timeline and causes per se, and also it provides an eyewitness account of post-disaster efforts.

I think it might be much less well known in English-speaking world. I found that there is a free translation online:

http://dodreports.com/pdf/ada335076.pdf

(I edited a typo in the post: "B. Medvedev" -> "G. Medvedev", but the thread list still shows wrong title. If possible, can moderators fix it too?)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2
    Re: B. Medvedev "Chernobyl Notebook"

Thanks that will be an interesting reading... to be read as soon as possible

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3

Yes, thanks from me too. Looks like an excellent read.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

Damn interesting and revealing.

This book has been published in German in the 1990s under the title "Verbrannte Seelen", but the german version is shorter (lacking many of the testimonies of all these people interviewed). So I found quite many new details I didn't know of before.

Thanks for finding and posting this!

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5

Thanks for the link

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6

Bandit127

Gold Member

A remarkable read (a good use of a spare weekend). There were many heores of Chernobyl and (in time) we will get to know the heores of Fukushima Daiichi too. The author is one of those heroes.

This account is somehow awe inspiring and humbling at the same time. Please take the time to read it.

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7

I recall reading it a while ago (in original). A very good book indeed.

9. Aug 25, 2013 #8
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong.
    The book has a lot of technical inaccuracies and outright lies ..,
    Then regurgitate giving the lie for the truth.
    Writing the book was in the depths of the KGB to improve the image of the RBMK reactor designers.
    And that would tarnish the operating personnel.
    We are well aware that the staff was not "white and fluffy", but they were not such idiots as they were described in the book.
    The blame for the catastrophe at Chernobyl lies mostly on the designers of the reactor.
    The author of the book was in Chernobyl 10 years before the disaster, and to eliminate the effects he has very little to do....

In our time, the official version here

THE[/PLAIN] [Broken] CHERNOBYL ACCIDENT: UPDATING OF INSAG-1
    INSAG-7
    A report by the International Nuclear Safety Advisory Group

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Aug 26, 2013 #9
    Bool sheet.

First. The author visited Chernobyl in May 1986.

Second. The book is not focused on assigning the blame, rather on recording eyewitness accounts during and after the event, and based on them, trying to figure out what happened. The description of technical aspects of accident is remarcably accurate.

Book does not focus on whether *RBMK design* is flawed or not; hewever, it does mention that it has positive void coefficient, which is bad.

11. Sep 10, 2013 #10
  12. Sep 10, 2013 #11
  13. Sep 11, 2013 #12
    Thanks, but please update the link.

Thanks very much, I hope it is the same book the thread maker voted for. Regards

14. Sep 12, 2013 #13
    Yes, it is the book.

15. Apr 27, 2016 #14
  16. Apr 27, 2016 #15

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted