B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook

• Chernobyl
  • Thread starter nikkkom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chernobyl
In summary, the book discusses the events leading up to and following the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, and provides an eyewitness account of the efforts made to help those affected.
G. Medvedev "Chernobyl Notebook"

This is the best book about Chernobyl, in my opinion. I read and reread it many times back then in 1990s when it was first published. It gives both a good technical description about the disaster timeline and causes per se, and also it provides an eyewitness account of post-disaster efforts.

I think it might be much less well known in English-speaking world. I found that there is a free translation online:

http://dodreports.com/pdf/ada335076.pdf

(I edited a typo in the post: "B. Medvedev" -> "G. Medvedev", but the thread list still shows wrong title. If possible, can moderators fix it too?)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Thanks that will be an interesting reading... to be read as soon as possible

Yes, thanks from me too. Looks like an excellent read.

Damn interesting and revealing.

This book has been published in German in the 1990s under the title "Verbrannte Seelen", but the german version is shorter (lacking many of the testimonies of all these people interviewed). So I found quite many new details I didn't know of before.

Thanks for finding and posting this!

Thanks for the link

A remarkable read (a good use of a spare weekend). There were many heores of Chernobyl and (in time) we will get to know the heores of Fukushima Daiichi too. The author is one of those heroes.

This account is somehow awe inspiring and humbling at the same time. Please take the time to read it.

I recall reading it a while ago (in original). A very good book indeed.

Bandit127 said:
There were many heores of Chernobyl and (in time) we will get to know the heores of Fukushima Daiichi too. The author is one of those heroes.

This account is somehow awe inspiring and humbling at the same time. Please take the time to read it.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.
The book has a lot of technical inaccuracies and outright lies ..,
Then regurgitate giving the lie for the truth.
Writing the book was in the depths of the KGB to improve the image of the RBMK reactor designers.
And that would tarnish the operating personnel.
We are well aware that the staff was not "white and fluffy", but they were not such idiots as they were described in the book.
The blame for the catastrophe at Chernobyl lies mostly on the designers of the reactor.
The author of the book was in Chernobyl 10 years before the disaster, and to eliminate the effects he has very little to do...

In our time, the official version here

THE[/PLAIN] CHERNOBYL ACCIDENT: UPDATING OF INSAG-1
INSAG-7
A report by the International Nuclear Safety Advisory Group

Last edited by a moderator:
a.ua. said:
I'm sorry, but you're wrong.
The book has a lot of technical inaccuracies and outright lies ..,
Then regurgitate giving the lie for the truth.
Writing the book was in the depths of the KGB to improve the image of the RBMK reactor designers.

Bool sheet.

And that would tarnish the operating personnel.
We are well aware that the staff was not "white and fluffy", but they were not such idiots as they were described in the book.
The blame for the catastrophe at Chernobyl lies mostly on the designers of the reactor.
The author of the book was in Chernobyl 10 years before the disaster, and to eliminate the effects he has very little to do...

First. The author visited Chernobyl in May 1986.

Second. The book is not focused on assigning the blame, rather on recording eyewitness accounts during and after the event, and based on them, trying to figure out what happened. The description of technical aspects of accident is remarcably accurate.

Book does not focus on whether *RBMK design* is flawed or not; hewever, it does mention that it has positive void coefficient, which is bad.

nikkkom said:
This is the best book about Chernobyl, in my opinion. I read and reread it many times back then in 1990s when it was first published. It gives both a good technical description about the disaster timeline and causes per se, and also it provides an eyewitness account of post-disaster efforts.

I think it might be much less well known in English-speaking world. I found that there is a free translation online:

http://dodreports.com/pdf/ada335076.pdf

(I edited a typo in the post: "B. Medvedev" -> "G. Medvedev", but the thread list still shows wrong title. If possible, can moderators fix it too?)

Thanks, but please update the link.

LabratSR said:

Thanks very much, I hope it is the same book the thread maker voted for. Regards

Thanks !

1. What is the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook"?

The "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" is a collection of notes and observations made by Soviet physicist Boris Medvedev during and after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986. It provides firsthand accounts and insights into the events leading up to the disaster and its aftermath.

2. How is the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" significant in the study of the Chernobyl disaster?

The "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" is significant because it offers a unique perspective from a scientist who was present during the disaster and its aftermath. It provides valuable information and insights that may not be found in other sources, and has been used as a primary source in many studies and documentaries about the Chernobyl disaster.

3. Was the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" published before or after the fall of the Soviet Union?

The "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" was first published in 1991, which was after the fall of the Soviet Union. However, it was based on notes and observations made by Medvedev during the disaster in 1986.

4. Are there any controversies surrounding the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook"?

There have been some controversies surrounding the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook," particularly regarding the accuracy of Medvedev's accounts and the possibility of censorship or manipulation of information by the Soviet government. However, it remains an important and valuable source for understanding the events at Chernobyl.

5. Is the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" available in English?

Yes, the "B. Medvedev Chernobyl Notebook" has been translated into English and is widely available in bookstores and online. It has also been translated into other languages, making it accessible to a wider audience interested in studying the Chernobyl disaster.