Need information on B4A26 Steel? Can anyone assist?

In summary: One should remember that specs are generally quite broad, primarily to allow product acceptance. With respect to performance in the field, one should use the appropriate values from the product certification.MatWeb lists AISI 8620 as roughly equivalent to ASTM A551 steel, so you could probably get a general idea of what you're working with there. To get real data on the standard, you'll have to get your hands on the ASTM A551/A551M spec.
jabce85
I can't find any info on this type of A26.. can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe it's because the ASTM A26 steel specification was withdrawn in 1966 and replaced with ASTM A551/A551M.

http://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WITHDRAWN/A26.htm

Thanks for the reply Mech_Engineer. I saw that link earlier today, but the 'tires' bit through me off... Not to divulge too much info, but I do find it odd that an aircraft company would be using a "withdrawn" standard.

Is there anyone else who might have a more definitive answer? I'm just looking for all the info I can get.

Thanks for the interest thus far.

jabce85 said:
Thanks for the reply Mech_Engineer. I saw that link earlier today, but the 'tires' bit through me off... Not to divulge too much info, but I do find it odd that an aircraft company would be using a "withdrawn" standard.

Is there anyone else who might have a more definitive answer? I'm just looking for all the info I can get.

Thanks for the interest thus far.
I looked on the internet and found only one shop in the US that supplies B4A26 Steel products.

Althought the B4A26 was withdrawn, it is superceded by ASTM 551/551M, internally to the vendor, the specs should be the same. Tires would refer the 'wheels' for railcars/vans.

If a customer is using B4A26, then I'd recommend comparing the customer specs with the ASTM spec 551/551M to see if they are the same.

Thanks for the reply, Astronuc.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came up with. I already contacted that one shop, but I just wish there was some more technical info on this material directly. (A profile for it on MatWeb would have been nice.)

Thanks for the replies!

jabce85 said:
Thanks for the reply, Astronuc.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came up with. I already contacted that one shop, but I just wish there was some more technical info on this material directly. (A profile for it on MatWeb would have been nice.)

Thanks for the replies!
I checked MatWeb and I didn't find ASTM 551 grade. It's best to get the product specs from the supplier.

One should remember that specs are generally quite broad, primarily to allow product acceptance. With respect to performance in the field, one should use the appropriate values from the product certification.

Thank you sir. I will go this route if I can't get any info back from our customer about the material.

If I do get specs for the material (and they're not proprietary) I will post them on here and also see if I can get them on MatWeb.

Cheers.

1. What is B4A26 steel?

B4A26 steel is a type of steel that falls under the category of low alloy high strength structural steel. It is commonly used in the manufacturing of heavy machinery, construction equipment, and structural components due to its high strength and durability.

2. What are the properties of B4A26 steel?

B4A26 steel has a minimum yield strength of 355 MPa and a minimum tensile strength of 490 MPa. It also has good ductility, toughness, and weldability. It has a high resistance to corrosion and can withstand high temperatures.

3. How is B4A26 steel different from other types of steel?

B4A26 steel is a low alloy high strength steel, which means it contains a lower amount of alloying elements compared to other types of steel. This makes it more cost-effective and easier to weld. It also has a higher yield and tensile strength compared to other types of steel.

4. What are the applications of B4A26 steel?

B4A26 steel is commonly used in the construction and manufacturing industries. It is often used in the production of heavy-duty machinery such as cranes, excavators, and forklifts. It is also used in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures that require high strength and durability.

5. How is B4A26 steel produced?

B4A26 steel is typically produced through a process called quenching and tempering. In this process, the steel is heated to a high temperature and then rapidly cooled, which increases its strength. It is then tempered by reheating and slowly cooling, which improves its ductility and toughness.