Using Inner Product to Solve Vector Equations: Baby Rudin Exercise 1.19

• Thread starter lol_nl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary: Squaring |x-a| = 2|x-b|, gives (x-a)∙(x-a) = 4(x-b)∙(x-b) where the ∙ symbol denotes the inner product. (That's the scalar product in ℝ3.) This can be expanded as \displaystyle \textbf{x}^2-2\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{a}+\textbf{a}^2=4\textbf{x}^2-8\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{b}+4\textbf{b}^2
lol_nl

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex] a \in R^{k},b \in R^{k}[/itex]. Find [itex] c \in R^{k}[/itex] and [itex] r > 0[/itex] such that
|x-a| = 2|x-b|
if and only if |x-c| = r.

Homework Equations

Solution:
3c = 4b - a, 3r = 2|b-a|

The Attempt at a Solution

Technically, I can't seem to find any way to express |x-c| in terms of |x-a| or |x-b| except using the triangle inequality.
The idea of the exercise is a complete mystery to me. What is the use of proving this theorem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is to start with a sketch in 2d. What is the set of x for |x-a|=const?

It's a circle. My intuition tells that the set that satisfies the first equation is a hyperbola: the difference of two distances is a constant (namely 0). Only the factor two seems misleading...

Last edited:
What you have here are two arbitrary points in space, a and b. x is the third point, thus forming a triangle, in which the length of side ax is twice the length of the side bx. The length of side ab is fixed. How many such triangles can you form in 2D? 3D?

voko said:
What you have here are two arbitrary points in space, a and b. x is the third point, thus forming a triangle, in which the length of side ax is twice the length of the side bx. The length of side ab is fixed. How many such triangles can you form in 2D? 3D?

In 2 dimensions the answer seems to be 2: with the length of all three sides determined, any two such triangles must be congruent, and also share the side ab. In three dimensions, there is an entire circle.
However, letting |x-a| vary over all positive values, one gets a curve in two dimensions and probably a surface in three dimensions. My guess was that the curve is a hyperbola, but I haven't managed to figure out whether that is true.

lol_nl said:
However, letting |x-a| vary over all positive values, one gets a curve in two dimensions and probably a surface in three dimensions.

Can you really have x vary here? Work this out in 2D: given a fixed side ab, find all the locus of all x that must satisfy ax = 2bx. Hint: project x onto ab, and call that point c.

How about for starters, you put A=(0,0) and B=(b,0)
Then you calculate e1=|x-A| and e2=|x-B|
Then you let e1=e2, simplify and examine what you get.
This would give you an intuition about the nature of the problem.
You still need to carry out the calculation in k-dim and general case, though.

lol_nl said:

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex] a \in R^{k},b \in R^{k}[/itex]. Find [itex] c \in R^{k}[/itex] and [itex] r > 0[/itex] such that
|x-a| = 2|x-b|
if and only if |x-c| = r.

Homework Equations

Solution:
3c = 4b - a, 3r = 2|b-a|

The Attempt at a Solution

Technically, I can't seem to find any way to express |x-c| in terms of |x-a| or |x-b| except using the triangle inequality.
The idea of the exercise is a complete mystery to me. What is the use of proving this theorem?
Look at a, b, c, and x as k-dimensional position vectors.

Squaring |x-a| = 2|x-b|, gives (x-a)∙(x-a) = 4(x-b)∙(x-b) where the ∙ symbol denotes the inner product. (That's the scalar product in 3.)

This can be expanded as [itex]\displaystyle \textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{x}-2\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{a}+\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{a}=4\left(\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{x}-2\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{b}+\textbf{b}\cdot\textbf{b}\right)\ .[/itex]

This ca be written as [itex]\displaystyle \textbf{x}^2-2\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{a}+\textbf{a}^2=4\textbf{x}^2-8\textbf{x}\cdot\textbf{b}+4\textbf{b}^2\,,[/itex] if we use the convention that [itex]\displaystyle \textbf{u}^2=\textbf{u}\cdot\textbf{u}\,,[/itex] for any k-vector, u. Now, collect terms and complete the square.

1. What is the purpose of exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin"?

The purpose of exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin" is to introduce the concept of limits of functions and to practice evaluating limits of simple functions.

2. How difficult is exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin" compared to other exercises in the book?

Exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin" is considered one of the easier exercises in the book, as it is one of the first exercises in the chapter on limits and is meant to be an introductory exercise.

3. Is it necessary to complete exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin" in order to understand the rest of the chapter on limits?

No, it is not necessary to complete exercise 1.19 in order to understand the rest of the chapter on limits. However, it is recommended to complete the exercise as it will provide a solid foundation for understanding more complex concepts in the chapter.

4. How much time should I spend on exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin"?

The amount of time spent on exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin" will vary depending on the individual's understanding of the material. It is recommended to spend enough time to fully understand the concept of limits and to be able to solve similar exercises in the chapter.

5. Are there any resources available to help with exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin"?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and study guides that can assist with understanding and solving exercise 1.19 in "Baby Rudin". It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.