Baby Step Giant Step: Computing m of Rational Points on Elliptic Curve

• Thread starter yavanna
  • Start date
In summary, the baby-step-giant-step method can be used to compute the number of rational points on an elliptic curve defined over a finite field. The algorithm involves finding a random point on the curve and then using scalar multiplication to generate a sequence of points. By comparing these points with a set of precomputed points, the number of rational points can be determined. However, there may be some issues with the implementation, as shown in the code example provided.
yavanna
The baby-step-giant-step method to compute the number [itex]m[/itex] of rational points over an elliptic curve defined over [itex]\mathbb{F}_p[/itex]

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3852/babym.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the second part [itex]R=(p+1)P[/itex], but for every point on the curve [itex](p+1)P[/itex] is the identity element of the group: [itex]P_{\infty}[/itex].

So [itex]R+iQ[/itex] is always [itex]iQ[/itex], isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried to use this algorithm in PARI/GP with the following code, just to check if it works, it doesn't output m but the indexes [i,j] of [itex]R+iQ=jP[/itex]. Ellpoint finds a random point on the curve, ellsum makes the sum between two points, ellpow(E,P,n) compute the scalar multiplication nP. But it doesn't work

{\\Baby-Step-Giant-Step E(F_p)
BSGS(e,char)=local(s,i,v,P,Match,j,Q,R,S,k);
s=ceil(char^(1/4));
P=ellpoint(e,char);
v=vector(s);
v[1]=P;
for(i=2,s,v=ellsum(e,v[i-1],P,char));
for(i=1,s,v=concat(v,[[v[1],-v[2]]]));
print(v);
Match=0;
Q=ellpow(e,P,2*s+1);
R=ellpow(e,P,char+1); j=0;
while(Match==0,j=j+1;S=ellpow(e,Q,j);print(S);for(i=1,s,if(S==v,Match=1;k=i,) )\\end for
);\\end while
return([k,j]);
}

1. What is Baby Step Giant Step algorithm and how does it work?

The Baby Step Giant Step algorithm is a method for computing the number of rational points on an elliptic curve over a finite field. It works by dividing the elliptic curve into two sets of points: the "baby steps" and the "giant steps". The algorithm then calculates the coordinates of these points and uses them to determine the number of rational points on the curve.

2. What is the significance of computing the number of rational points on an elliptic curve?

Computing the number of rational points on an elliptic curve is important in many areas of mathematics, including cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It can also provide insights into the structure of the curve and its behavior.

3. How is the Baby Step Giant Step algorithm different from other methods of computing m of rational points?

The Baby Step Giant Step algorithm is considered to be more efficient than other methods, such as the Schoof-Elkies-Atkin (SEA) algorithm, when the size of the finite field is large. The algorithm also has a relatively simple implementation and can be easily parallelized.

4. What are the limitations of the Baby Step Giant Step algorithm?

The Baby Step Giant Step algorithm is not suitable for all elliptic curves, as it relies on certain properties of the curve. It is also not as efficient for smaller finite fields, as other methods such as SEA may be more suitable in these cases.

5. What are some applications of the Baby Step Giant Step algorithm?

The Baby Step Giant Step algorithm has applications in cryptography, specifically in the computation of the discrete logarithm problem on elliptic curves. It is also used in coding theory for constructing error-correcting codes based on elliptic curves. In addition, the algorithm has been used in research on the distribution of rational points on elliptic curves.