Back to grad school after 5 years off

In summary, technology has advanced rapidly in the classroom, but it has also made learning more complicated. Traditional methods of learning, such as lectures, assignments, and tests, have been replaced with online portals, multiple accounts, and interactive computer assignments. This has made it difficult for students to navigate and has not necessarily led to an increase in learning. Many feel that this is due to a lack of user-friendly interfaces for these technological tools.
gravenewworld
And man has technology in the classroom advanced at breakneck speed. I've only been away for 5 years and I'm having trouble trying to learn it. Is it me, or has technology actually made learning worse? Why can't things be simple anymore? All I want is a lecture, an assignment, and test. Now you get a lecture, all the supplemental materials are buried on some online portal website that has a gazillion subfolders and menus. There's also more than 1 portal site you have to keep track of, interactive 3D computer assignments you have to remember where to find and do them, different passwords for everything, and have to set up all sorts of different accounts. Not to mention setting up your computer to just be able to connect to your school's network on campus and off campus is a huge pain in the neck. I feel like I actually learned better the way I used to be taught. A lot of this technology makes things very convoluted to find, not easier. I think 3 quarters of the menus in my school's portal I'll probably hardly, if ever, use.

Textbook+notes+good professor=best way to learn in my opinion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I think some of that stuff of more of a "solution looking for a problem" type of situation. But some of it is worthwhile, and it's definitely worthwhile to spend time learning to navigate that stuff, since it isn't going to go away anytime soon.

daveyrocket said:
Yeah I think some of that stuff of more of a "solution looking for a problem" type of situation. But some of it is worthwhile, and it's definitely worthwhile to spend time learning to navigate that stuff, since it isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty much forced to learn all of this stuff, it's not going away. What happened to simply going to the library and filling out a simple form to order a journal article you don't have access to? Now you have to set up an account, with a user name and password (of course I have 200 other passwords to remember), and have to fill it out on the library's portal. But you have to remember how to navigate through the library's portal. That's only the library's portal though. You also have to remember how to navigate through your own personal university portal website and also the portal website for the classroom, with each portal having a ton of different option menus and subfolders. Where's the simplicity?

I've started back to school, and agree with you, gravenewworld, that it's unnecessarily complicated. I spend a third of my homework time navigating the poorly-built menu systems to make sure I didn't miss anything.

It takes more time now, not less time, and there's no increase in overall learning. I think it's because they're trying to shoehorn classic learning into the computer age. Doesn't work. I've seen good, interactive computer-based training, and what my University is providing isn't it.

sorry buddy this is the age we live in get used to it lol

I think it's not so much that there is something fundamentally wrong or unworkable about this idea, it's just that people still suck at making good user interfaces for web applications.

Related to Back to grad school after 5 years off

1. What are the benefits of going back to grad school after taking 5 years off?

There are several benefits to going back to grad school after a 5-year break. Firstly, it allows you to gain additional knowledge and skills that can enhance your career prospects. It also provides an opportunity to make valuable connections and expand your professional network. Additionally, it can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, which are highly valued in the job market.

2. Will my previous coursework and experience still be relevant?

While the specific content of your previous coursework and experience may not be directly applicable to your current studies, the skills and knowledge you gained can still be valuable. Grad school is a great opportunity to build upon your previous education and work experience, and apply them to a new field or research area.

3. How can I balance work and study while going back to grad school after a break?

Balancing work and study can be challenging, but it is certainly doable. One approach is to create a realistic schedule that allows you to allocate time for both work and study. It is also important to communicate your needs and limitations with your employer and professors. Utilizing effective time management strategies and seeking support from friends and family can also help you maintain a healthy work-study balance.

4. Will going back to grad school after a break affect my career progression?

This largely depends on your individual situation and goals. In some cases, going back to grad school can enhance your career prospects by providing additional qualifications and skills. However, it is important to consider the time and financial commitments of grad school and how it may impact your current job. It is also important to communicate with your employer about your decision and discuss potential options for balancing work and study.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed or anxious about going back to grad school?

Yes, it is normal to feel overwhelmed or anxious about going back to grad school after a break. It is a big decision and can be a significant change in your routine and lifestyle. It is important to recognize and address these feelings by seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist. It can also be helpful to connect with other students who are in a similar situation and share your concerns and experiences.