Can You Solve This Hilarious Limit Problem Involving Sine and Infinity?

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: For what did Cauchy know, or Christoffel,Or Fourier, or any Bools or Euler,Wielding their compasses, their pens and rulers,Of thy supernal sinusoidal spell?Cancel me not--for what then shall remain?Abscissas some mantissas, modules, modes,A root or two, a torus and a node:The inverse of my verse, a null domain.Ellipse of bliss, converge, O lips divine!The product o four scalars is defined!Cyberiad draws nigh, and the skew mindCuts capers like a happy haversine.I see the eigenvalue in thine eye,I hear the tender tensor in thy sigh.Bern
Now here's one I really LOVE (especially the first few lines):
"At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare, a slide rule, and a calculator.

At a morning press conference, Attorney General John Ashcroft said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

"Al-Gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute value. They use secret code names like 'x' and 'y' and refer to themselves as 'unknowns,' but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country.

"As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, there are three sides to every triangle," Ashcroft declared.

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes.

"I am gratified that our government has given us a sine that it is intent on protracting us from these math-dogs who are willing to disintegrate us with calculus disregard. Murky statisticians love to inflict plane on every sphere of influence," the President said, adding, "Under the circumferences, we must differentiate their root, make our point, and draw the line."

President Bush warned, "These weapons of math instruction have the potential to decimal everything in their math on a scalene never before seen unless we become exponents of a Higher Power and begin to factor-in random facts of vertex."

Attorney General Ashcroft concluded, "As our Great Leader would say, 'read my ellipse.' Here is one principle he is uncertainty of though they continue to multiply, their days are numbered as the hypotenuse tightens around their necks."

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This one's good, too:
Halfway through a recent airplane flight from Warsaw to New York, there was nearly a major disaster when the flight crew got sick from eating the fish. After they had passed out, one of the flight attendants asked over the intercom if there were any pilots in the cabin.

An elderly gentleman, who had flown a bit in the war, raised his hand and was rushed into the cockpit of the 747. When he got there, took the seat, and saw all the displays and controls, he realized he was in over his head. He told the flight attendant that he didn't think he could fly this plane. When asked why not, he replied,

"I am just a simple Pole in a complex plane"

So, they just had to rely on the method of steepest descents.

Help Pls for Ansys

Hi
I am a new ANSYS user and trying to work with Concrete65
Can anybody help me giving some guidelines how to deal this element...
thanks in advance...

tony873004 said:
What's the square root of 69?

8-something.
i didn't get it.

When my physics professor makes a simple math error he likes to comment, "There are three kinds of physicists, those that can count and those that can't."

tony873004 said:
What's the square root of 69?

1 + 1 + offspring

SigmaTheAtheist said:
When my physics professor makes a simple math error he likes to comment, "There are three kinds of physicists, those that can count and those that can't."

Reminiscent of the ever-popular "There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and everyone else."

There are 10 types of people: Those who know trinary, those who don't, and those who think I just screwed up a binary joke

Office_Shredder said:
There are 10 types of people: Those who know trinary, those who don't, and those who think I just screwed up a binary joke
lol. great joke.
but, is the term "trinary"? or "ternary"?

A bunch of Systems Engineers from Warsaw were flying out to attend a conference on “Automatic Control System’s” in Geneva. The weather conditions were perfect, no wind and blue sky with just a few light fluffy clouds. So once the plane reached cruising altitude the flight crew switched over to auto-pilot and settled in for a nice easy flight.

After some time one of the Engineers noticed a really strange cloud formation (resembling part of a women’s anatomy) off to the right hand side of the plane. He immediately alerted the others of this amazing curiosity and soon all the Engineers from both rows of seats had rushed over the take a look.

The sudden shift in weight caused the plane to pitch alarmingly to the right. The auto-pilot tried to correct but unfortunately it over-responded causing the plane to pitch ever more violently to the left. After several more failed over corrections the plane eventually spiralled out of control and crashed killing all on board.

Air-crash investigators examining the black box flight recorder eventually determined that the crash resulted from: “an instability in the auto-pilot system caused by” ...….punch line …... “ too many Poles in the right half plane”.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:

ahahah, that one's good :rofl:

Here's a story (perhaps more than just a joke) told by Stan Ulam many years ago.

"Chen Ning Yang, Nobel Prize in Physics (1957), tells a joke which illustrates an aspect of the intellectual relationship between physicists and mathematicians at present. One afternoon, a group of friends came to a city. They had to wash their clothes, so they searched the streets looking for a laundry. They found a place with the shop-sign on the window: WE WASH CLOTHES. One of them went in and asked: 'Can we leave our clothes here for a wash?' The owner answered: 'We don't wash clothes here.' - 'How's that?' asked the newcomer, 'there is a sign on the window that says you do.' - 'We make shop-signs', was the answer. Something similar happens here. We mathematicians make shop-signs for any trade. Physicists use them."

Galileo said:
A chemist, a physicist, and a mathematician are stranded on an island when a can of food rolls ashore. The chemist and the physicist comes up with many ingenious ways to open the can. Then suddenly the mathematician gets a bright idea: "Assume we have a can opener ..."

Sad, but true:
The Evolution of Math Teaching

1960s: A peasant sells a bag of potatoes for $10. His costs amount to 4/5 of his selling price. What is his profit?
1970s: A farmer sells a bag of potatoes for $10. His costs amount to 4/5 of his selling price, that is, $8. What is his profit?
1970s (new math): A farmer exchanges a set P of potatoes with set M of money. The cardinality of the set M is equal to 10, and each element of M is worth $1. Draw ten big dots representing the elements of M. The set C of production costs is composed of two big dots less than the set M. Represent C as a subset of M and give the answer to the question: What is the cardinality of the set of profits?
1980s: A farmer sells a bag of potatoes for $10. His production costs are $8, and his profit is $2. Underline the word "potatoes" and discuss with your classmates.
1990s: A farmer sells a bag of potatoes for $10. His or her production costs are 0.80 of his or her revenue. On your calculator, graph revenue vs. costs. Run the POTATO program to determine the profit. Discuss the result with students in your group. Write a brief essay that analyzes this example in the real world of economics.

I've got one similar to that, but it's a bit darker:
1. Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

6. Teaching Math In 2006
Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.

- What's purple and commutative?--> An Abelian Grape

- What's Yellow normed and complete --> A Bananach space..

what do you get if you cross a pig and a rat?

andybham said:
what do you get if you cross a pig and a rat?

A journal referee?.. i suppose they're right all the paper are PIG-reviewed.

tpm said:
A journal referee?.. i suppose they're right all the paper are PIG-reviewed.

No, lol!

|pig||rat|*sin(x)

Hah, sorry, that is terrible!

but that's just its size

sorry, I'm killing it even worse

Didn't bother checking if this one has already been posted, but anyway:

Let [itex]\epsilon < 0[/itex].

I didn't read through all 11 pages so I hope no one said these.

There are 3 types of mathematicians in the world...those who can count, and those who can't.

My quantum mechanics professor a few years ago said this one.

Q:Why doesn't Heisenberg live in the suburbs?

A: Because he doesn't like to commute.

Confusing one single letter can turn a homomorphism into a dog.

Oh my God. I found this on another forum:

A mathematician and an engineer agreed to take part in a psychological test. They sat on one side of a room and waited not knowing what to expect. A door opened on the other side and a naked woman came in the room and stood on the far side. They were then instructed that every time they heard a beep they could move half the remaining distance to the woman. They heard a beep and the engineer jumped up and moved halfway across the room while the mathematician continued to sit, looking disgusted and bored. When the mathematician didn't move after the second beep he was asked why. "Because I know I will never reach the woman." The engineer was asked why he chose to move and replied, "Because I know that very soon I will be close enough for all practical purposes!"

Wow this thread is bad... :D

radou said:

...I don't get it.

bit188 said:
Oh my God. I found this on another forum:

A mathematician and an engineer agreed to take part in a psychological test. They sat on one side of a room and waited not knowing what to expect. A door opened on the other side and a naked woman came in the room and stood on the far side. They were then instructed that every time they heard a beep they could move half the remaining distance to the woman. They heard a beep and the engineer jumped up and moved halfway across the room while the mathematician continued to sit, looking disgusted and bored. When the mathematician didn't move after the second beep he was asked why. "Because I know I will never reach the woman." The engineer was asked why he chose to move and replied, "Because I know that very soon I will be close enough for all practical purposes!"

Oh, he means Zeno's paradox! :rofl:

radou said:
Does it mean DoG (Domain of G) ?? :confused:

Reshma said:
Does it mean DoG (Domain of G) ?? :confused:

Nah, I meant kernels vs. kennels. :tongue2:

Your.Master said:
No harm done. I was also sort of impatient with you...it's exam time, you see.

In the spirit of your joke:

Stupid people will always make more money.

Proof:

By definition,

Power = Work / Time

Rearranging:

Time = Work / Power

Time IS Money, and Knowledge IS Power, so substituting:

Money = Work / Knowledge

Therefore, as knowledge goes to 0, money goes to infinity, regardless of the work being done (if Work > 0 and it is impossible to have negative knowledge).

You said indeed, if Work > 0. But if Work is identically zero (which is not uncommon for stupid people) then Money is the limit of 0 / Knowledge and hence zero.
That sucks (for me, at least).

jtbell said:
shmoe said:
One of my favorites, find:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{cabin}d(cabin)[/tex]

Houseboat!
Would "beach house" work better?

Freezers are ice-o-morphic to water

Office_Shredder said:
Freezers are ice-o-morphic to water

People are homomorphic to humans.

I don't get post 169 >.< In cabin?...

log cabin. Mathematicians use "log" to mean what non-mathematicians refer to as "ln". Because base 10 is mathematically less interesting than the natural base.

Gib Z said:
I don't get post 169 >.< In cabin?...

log(cabin)+C -- Think about it...

Feldoh said:
log(cabin)+C -- Think about it...
This one's a repeat! :biggrin:
Cruise boat! :tongue2::tongue2::wink:

Last edited: