1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balance Beam Problem

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    I have already balanced beam both side two same mass at same distance and it is pivot on its center of gravity...............so torque is zero so no rotation possible by gravity on earth....................so why beam always be horizontal to earth surface.......after give inclination to earth surface.....................potential energy not make it........because p.e is energy not force.....motion is cause by force.......So Why This HAPPEN?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not easy to really understand your post, but from what I can tell you are wondering essentially why a balanced scale goes to horizontal.

The answer to this depends on the scale but typically boils down to that when the scale is tilted, the center of the beam is slightly offset from the support, resulting in a net torque around it. The scale should be constructed in such a way that this torque tends to be restoring or you will have problems in using it.

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3
    Ok friend... they make slightly offset.........okey.

Tell me....if there is no offset of center of beam,then what happen?

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4
    Can you give my other question answer...which I posted abut pascal law.....
    Thanks

6. Aug 20, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the point of support is the very same as the center of gravity, then the scale will stay in whatever position you put it.

7. Aug 20, 2014 #6
    Ok..Good....Orodruin

8. Aug 20, 2014 #7

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  9. Aug 20, 2014 #8
    Hey can you give me idea about how they are making this kind of offset?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook