Solving Ball Clearing Fence: Does It Go Over?

• Thread starter apiwowar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the batter hits a pitched ball at a launch angle of 45° from a height of 1.36 m. The ball's initial velocity is 33.13 m/s, with horizontal and vertical components of 23.43 m/s each. It travels a horizontal range of 112 m in a time of 4.35 seconds. The ball's height at the fence is calculated to be 9.2 m, but it is actually 2.91 m above the fence. This discrepancy may be due to not taking into account the initial height of the ball. The distance between the ball and the fence is found to be (9.2 + 1.36) - 7.65 =
apiwowar
A batter hits a pitched ball when the center of the ball is 1.36 m above the ground.The ball leaves the bat at an angle of 45° with the ground. With that launch, the ball should have a horizontal range (returning to the launch level) of 112 m. (a) Does the ball clear a 7.65-m-high fence that is 102 m horizontally from the launch point? (b) At the fence, what is the distance between the fence top and the ball center?

so i solved for the initial velocity which is 33.13m/s
the i broke it up into its x and y components
Vx=23.43 m/s
Vy = 23.43 m/s

since the range is 112m i found the time that it takes for the ball to go 112m

t= x/Vx = 112m/23.43m/s

i then found the time it takes to 102 m using the same method and got 4.35s

so to find the height of the ball i did x=(23.43)(4.35)+1/2(9.8)(4.35)^2 = 9.2m

so i thought that it would be 2.91m above the fence but that's wrong.
where did i go wrong/?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consider the initial height of the ball?

yes

to figure out the distance between the ball and the fence

i did (9.2+1.36)-7.65

Your work looks good to me. What book is this from?

halliday, fundamentals of physics 9e
its a wiley plus problem

1. What is a ball clearing fence?

A ball clearing fence is a type of fence used in sports, typically in baseball or softball fields, to prevent balls from leaving the playing area and causing delays or disruptions in the game. It is usually made of mesh or netting and is placed around the perimeter of the field.

2. Why is it important to solve the issue of balls going over the fence?

Clearing fences are important because they help maintain the flow of the game by preventing delays caused by retrieving balls that have gone over the fence. They also help protect nearby spectators and property from being hit by stray balls.

3. What are some potential solutions to the problem of balls going over the fence?

Some potential solutions include installing a higher fence, adding additional netting or padding to existing fences, or using specialized equipment such as a ball retrieval system. Another option is to adjust the dimensions of the field to reduce the likelihood of balls going over the fence.

4. How can we determine if a particular solution is effective?

The effectiveness of a solution can be evaluated by measuring the number of balls that go over the fence before and after implementation, as well as taking into account any costs or other factors involved. It may also be helpful to gather feedback from players, coaches, and spectators to determine if the solution is satisfactory.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to solving the issue of balls going over the fence?

Some potential drawbacks could include the added cost of implementing a solution, potential changes to the aesthetics of the field, and the possibility of unintended consequences such as changes to the gameplay. It is important to carefully consider all potential impacts before implementing a solution.