Ball lightning

• Thread starter AlchemistK
  • Start date
Danger
Gold Member
In a way, this is reminiscent of a very well-known documented phenomenon from the early days of telegraphy. Iron particles from the smoke of coal-fired steam locomotives used to get caught up in the magnetic fields surrounding telegraph lines (which always paralleled the tracks) and end up as glowing "doughnuts" strung along the wires like beads.
While I've never seen anything to suggest that particulate matter is involved in ball-lightning, I can't help wondering whether or not there is a correlation.

In a way, this is reminiscent of a very well-known documented phenomenon from the early days of telegraphy. Iron particles from the smoke of coal-fired steam locomotives used to get caught up in the magnetic fields surrounding telegraph lines (which always paralleled the tracks) and end up as glowing "doughnuts" strung along the wires like beads.
While I've never seen anything to suggest that particulate matter is involved in ball-lightning, I can't help wondering whether or not there is a correlation.
That sounds pretty cool, is there a name given to this phenomenon so that I might read about it?

Danger
Gold Member
That sounds pretty cool, is there a name given to this phenomenon so that I might read about it?
I honestly can't remember. That was back in the mid-late 1800's, which, believe it or not, was a couple of years before I was born. The closest that I can think of is something like "ring ghosts", but I'll really have to do some research to try finding references. I'm still getting used to this idea of looking things up on-line, since I'm a computer newbie. All of my prior research was always conducted in libraries. With the net stuff, I have to verify the veracity of the source.

Very interesting Danger.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member