Solve Balloon Problem Homework: Time & Speed Impact

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the question asks for the time and speed at which a package dropped from a hot-air balloon at a height of 80m will hit the ground. Using the formula Xf = Xo + Vo(T) - 1/2 (g) (T)2 and solving for T using the quadratic equation, the time can be found. The initial velocity is 12 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s2. The speed at which the package will hit the ground can be found by substituting the calculated time into the original equation and solving for Vo.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

Question: A hot-air balloon is ascending at the rate of 12m/s and is 80m above the ground when a package is dropped over the side.
a.)How long does the package take to reach the ground? b.)With what speed does it hit the ground?

Homework Equations

I know -- acceleration = -9.8 Initial velocity = 12 m/s and initial height = 80 m.

I know I have to use this formula
Xf = Vo + 1/2 (g) (T)2

Vo = 12 m/s
Xf = 80 m
g = -9.8 m/s2

I set Xf to 0.How would I find Time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CrossFit415 said:
I know I have to use this formula
Xf = Vo + 1/2 (g) (T)2
I think you mean:
Xf = Xo + Vo(T) - 1/2 (g) (T)2
where g = 9.8 m/s2
How would I find Time?
Time is the only unknown in the above quadratic equation, so solve for T.

How would I go on about doing that? I can't seem to get T by itself in this equation.

Doc Al said:
I think you mean:
Xf = Xo + Vo(T) - 1/2 (g) (T)2
where g = 9.8 m/s2

Time is the only unknown in the above quadratic equation, so solve for T.

That user is correct by the way because this is the form you should get. Well, since the object starts 80 m above the ground, x_0 = 80 obviously.

Here is the equation you get:

x_f = 80 + 12t - 4.9t²

CrossFit415 said:
How would I go on about doing that? I can't seem to get T by itself in this equation.

It's not impossible to find t. To find t, use the quadratic equation as that user indicates. That is the way to find t. Remember that:

at² + bt + c = 0 OR c + bt + at² = 0

t = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac))/(2a)

OR

t = (-b + √(b² - 4ac))/(2a) or t = (-b - √(b² - 4ac))/(2a)

By letting the corresponding values be the a, b, c variables and then, solving for t, you should get the answer (it must be positive!).

To find the time it takes for the package to reach the ground, you can use the formula Xf = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2, where Xf is the final position (ground level in this case), Xo is the initial position (80m above the ground), Vo is the initial velocity (12m/s), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s^2), and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get 0 = 80 + 12t + 1/2(-9.8)t^2. Rearranging and solving for t, we get t = 3.66 seconds.

To find the speed at which the package hits the ground, you can use the formula Vf = Vo + at, where Vf is the final velocity (which is the speed at which the package hits the ground), Vo is the initial velocity (12m/s), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s^2), and t is the time (which we found to be 3.66 seconds). Plugging in the values, we get Vf = 12 + (-9.8)(3.66) = -35.85m/s. This means that the package will hit the ground with a speed of 35.85m/s.

Please note that the negative sign indicates that the package is moving downwards, which is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

1. How does time impact the solution to the balloon problem?

Time is a crucial factor in solving the balloon problem. The longer the time taken to solve the problem, the higher the risk of the balloon bursting due to natural elements such as wind and temperature changes. Therefore, minimizing the time taken to solve the problem is important in ensuring a successful outcome.

2. What is the role of speed in solving the balloon problem?

Speed is equally important in solving the balloon problem. The faster the speed at which the balloon is filled with air, the higher the pressure inside the balloon. This increased pressure can lead to the balloon bursting. Therefore, it is important to find a balance between speed and time in order to successfully solve the problem.

3. How do different altitudes and atmospheric conditions affect the solution to the balloon problem?

Altitude and atmospheric conditions can greatly impact the solution to the balloon problem. As the altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and less dense, which affects the rate at which the balloon is filled with air. Atmospheric conditions such as wind and temperature changes can also affect the stability of the balloon. These factors must be taken into consideration when solving the problem.

4. Is there a specific formula or equation that can be used to solve the balloon problem?

There is no one specific formula or equation that can be used to solve the balloon problem. The solution will vary depending on factors such as altitude, atmospheric conditions, and the type of balloon being used. It is important to understand the principles of air pressure and how it relates to the problem in order to find the most efficient solution.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when solving the balloon problem?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when solving the balloon problem. It is important to wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves to protect against any potential hazards. The area where the problem is being solved should also be clear of any obstructions or hazards. It is also important to follow proper procedures and guidelines to prevent accidents or injuries.