Calculate Balloon Volume from Helium Mass: 199 kg

In summary, the total mass of helium in a balloon is 199 kg. There is no simple formula for determining the volume of the balloon without knowing the radius. However, the book states that each cubic foot of helium can lift 0.069 lbs, so this information may be useful. One possible approach is to convert the mass of helium to pounds and divide it by 0.069, which would give a volume of 35.621 cubic feet.
The total mass of helium in a balloon is 199 kg. What is the volume of the balloon? Enter only the numeric portion of the answer, not the units.

That is the problem. I am having trouble locating a simple forumla for this. All I can seem to find involve having the radius of the balloon which I do not have. In the book it says each cubic foot of helium can lift .069 lb, so this may play a factor but I am unsure of how exactly. I have thought about converting 199KG to lbs and dividing by .069. Is this thinking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helium = 0.179 so maybe I can take 199kg times .179 and that 35.621 kg is this correct?

1. How do I calculate the volume of a balloon from its helium mass?

To calculate the volume of a balloon from its helium mass, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature. You will also need to know the molar mass of helium, which is 4.0026 g/mol.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to calculating balloon volume from helium mass?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the number of moles of gas, the universal gas constant, and the temperature. This law can be applied to calculate the volume of a balloon from its helium mass, as long as the conditions of the gas are ideal.

3. Can I use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of any gas-filled balloon?

No, you can only use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of a gas-filled balloon if the conditions of the gas are ideal. This means that the gas must be at a constant temperature and pressure, and the particles must have no volume or interactions with each other.

4. What other factors besides helium mass affect the volume of a balloon?

Besides helium mass, the volume of a balloon can also be affected by the type of material the balloon is made of, the temperature of the gas inside the balloon, and the external pressure on the balloon. These factors can impact the elasticity and density of the balloon, which can affect its volume.

5. Is there a limit to the volume a balloon can reach based on its helium mass?

Yes, there is a limit to the volume a balloon can reach based on its helium mass. This is because the ideal gas law only applies to an ideal gas, and as the volume of the balloon increases, the gas inside becomes less ideal and the law becomes less accurate. Eventually, the balloon will reach a point where it can no longer expand and its volume will remain constant.