Calculating Ascension Rate of a Helium Balloon

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Imustthink
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balloon Rate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
Imustthink
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
How do I find the accelerating ascension rate of my helium balloon?
Ignore factors such as the increase of volume as it ascends, temperature, wind etc.
I just want the basic ascension rate of ideal non changing conditions.

rho_f Outside air density - I think typical air density is this - 1.2 kg/m^3

v Volume - 179.59438 m^3

m Mass - 90.7184 kg

g Earth's gravity - 9.80665 m/s^2

Through some research I have been given this formula but am not sure if its the correct one or how to compute it.

a = g*(rho_f * V - m)/(rho_f*V + m)

And also this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy#Beyond_Archimedes_Principle
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a non-accelerating ascent, the upward force of buoyancy will be balanced by a downward force due to air friction.
 
OK. Use the T=ρfVg-mg equation from your Wikipedia article to find the initial upward force.

The initial acceleration is then, ai=T/m.
 
So if I did this correctly the answer is: 13.490311 m/s^2 ?
 
Imustthink said:
So if I did this correctly the answer is: 13.490311 m/s^2 ?

That's the answer I get.
 
How would I find the constant non accelerating ascent due to air friction? haha
 
Under Mechanical Engineering there's a Aerospace Engineering subfolder. I take it this balloon would take the shape of a teardrop, flattened on the nose, with a lot of wrinkles. I'm not touching that one.