Calculating Ascension Rate of a Helium Balloon

In summary, to find the accelerating ascension rate of a helium balloon under ideal non-changing conditions, you can use the formula a = g*(rho_f * V - m)/(rho_f*V + m) where rho_f is the outside air density, V is the volume of the balloon, m is the mass, and g is Earth's gravity. For a non-accelerating ascent, the upward force of buoyancy is balanced by a downward force due to air friction. To find the constant non-accelerating ascent due to air friction, you would need to consider the shape and design of the balloon, which could fall under the subfield of Aerospace Engineering.
Imustthink
How do I find the accelerating ascension rate of my helium balloon?
Ignore factors such as the increase of volume as it ascends, temperature, wind etc.
I just want the basic ascension rate of ideal non changing conditions.

rho_f Outside air density - I think typical air density is this - 1.2 kg/m^3

v Volume - 179.59438 m^3

m Mass - 90.7184 kg

g Earth's gravity - 9.80665 m/s^2

Through some research I have been given this formula but am not sure if its the correct one or how to compute it.

a = g*(rho_f * V - m)/(rho_f*V + m)

And also this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy#Beyond_Archimedes_Principle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a non-accelerating ascent, the upward force of buoyancy will be balanced by a downward force due to air friction.

(edited) I meant the accelerating rate, sorry

OK. Use the T=ρfVg-mg equation from your Wikipedia article to find the initial upward force.

The initial acceleration is then, ai=T/m.

So if I did this correctly the answer is: 13.490311 m/s^2 ?

Imustthink said:
So if I did this correctly the answer is: 13.490311 m/s^2 ?

That's the answer I get.

Giga-thanks!

How would I find the constant non accelerating ascent due to air friction? haha

Under Mechanical Engineering there's a Aerospace Engineering subfolder. I take it this balloon would take the shape of a teardrop, flattened on the nose, with a lot of wrinkles. I'm not touching that one.

Related to Calculating Ascension Rate of a Helium Balloon

1. What is the definition of "ascension rate" for a balloon?

The ascension rate of a balloon refers to the speed at which it rises into the atmosphere. It is usually measured in feet per minute (ft/min) or meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the ascension rate of a balloon determined?

The ascension rate of a balloon is affected by several factors, such as the size and weight of the balloon, the amount of gas or hot air inside, and the surrounding atmospheric conditions such as temperature and air pressure. It can be calculated by measuring the change in altitude over a certain period of time.

3. Can the ascension rate of a balloon be controlled?

Yes, the ascension rate of a balloon can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the amount of gas or hot air inside the balloon. More gas or hot air will increase the ascension rate, while releasing some gas or hot air will decrease it.

4. How does the ascension rate of a balloon change during its flight?

The ascension rate of a balloon is not constant and will change during its flight due to changes in atmospheric conditions. For example, as the balloon rises higher into the atmosphere, the air pressure decreases, which can cause the balloon to rise faster. Similarly, as the balloon descends, the air pressure increases, which can slow down its ascent.

5. Is the ascension rate of a balloon affected by the payload it carries?

Yes, the ascension rate of a balloon can be affected by the weight of the payload it carries. A heavier payload will require more gas or hot air to lift, which can decrease the ascension rate. Additionally, the position and distribution of the payload within the balloon can also affect the ascension rate.