Banked circular track with friction

In summary, a circular track is banked for a motorcyclist to travel at a constant speed of 40 km/h without slipping. The coefficient of friction is 0.25 and the size of the motorcycle and cyclist is negligible. The problem asks to show that the cyclist can ride at all speeds below 40 km/h without slipping and to find the greatest speed at which he can ride without slipping. Using the free-body diagram, it is found that the maximum angle at which the cyclist can ride without slipping is 14.04 degrees. At the ideal speed of 40 km/h, the centripetal force is balanced by the normal force. If the speed is less than the ideal speed, the friction force will oppose the motion
shutdo
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm having some problem with the question below.

Homework Statement

A circular track is banked so that a motor cyclist who travels at 40 km/h in a
horizontal circle of radius 100 m experiences no tendency to side-slip. If the
coefficient of friction is 0.25 and the size of the cycle and cyclist can be ignored,

(a) show that the cyclist can ride on the track without slipping at all speeds
below 40 km/h, and

(b) find the greatest speed at which he can ride without slipping.

[tex]
r=100~m\\
\mu=0.25\\
\text{ideal speed} ~~v=\frac{100}{9}~ ms^{-1}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Part A

As there's no tendency to side-slip at 40 km/h, I assume there is
no friction acting on the body. Then, I can find the banked angle [itex]\theta[/itex]
[tex]N\sin\theta = \frac{mv^2}{r}\\
N\cos \theta=mg\\
\theta=\arctan(\frac{10}{81})[/tex]​
So to show that there is no slip at all speeds below 40 km/h,
Is it correct to just consider the force components like this?

[tex]mg\cos\theta=N[/tex]
Consider the component parallel to the inclined plane
[tex]
\begin{align}
&~~~~~~μN - mg\sin\theta\\
&=μmg\cos\theta -mg\sin\theta\\
&=0.25×mg\cos\{\arctan(\frac{10}{81})\}-mg\sin\{\arctan(\frac{10}{81})\}\\
&≈0.126mg>0
\end{align}
[/tex]
therefore it will not slip? Is this the correct way to show the statement?

Also, if I want to calculate the minimum speed for not sliding down.
I would consider the x-component and the y-components, then I have:
x-components
[tex]
\frac{mv^2}{r}=N\sin\theta-\mu N\cos\theta[/tex]
y-component
[tex]
N\cos\theta+\mu N\sin\theta=mg[/tex]
By solving, I have
[tex]
v^2=\frac{rg(\sin\theta-\mu\cos\theta)}{\cos\theta+\mu\sin\theta}[/tex]
And this is the weird part, if I substitute the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] I got,
[itex]v^2<0[/itex]...Why is that?
Can someone please point out my mistakes?

Part B

By Resolving the forces. I have
[tex]
v^2=\frac{rg(\mu\cos\theta+\sin\theta)}{\cos\theta-\mu\sin\theta}\\
v≈19.6~ms^{-1}=70.7~km/h[/tex]
I think I have no problem with part B. Please help me with part A, thanks guys!

Attachments

• case 1.jpg
    case 1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As there's no tendency to side-slip at 40 km/h, I assume there is
no friction acting on the body.
OR - maybe the friction is big enough to balance the force that would otherwise make the body slide?

Did you draw a free-body diagram?

Simon Bridge said:
OR - maybe the friction is big enough to balance the force that would otherwise make the body slide?

Did you draw a free-body diagram?

Hi Simon, Thanks for the reply and thanks for the advice. I've uploaded the free body diagram.

I have considered the case.Then, from the above result.
[tex]v^2=\frac{rg(\sin\theta-\mu\cos\theta)}{\cos\theta+\mu\sin\theta}[/tex]
By solving,
[tex]
\theta=\arctan\frac{121}{314}≈21.07^\circ\\
(\text{take}~~g=10)[/tex]
and if I put this value into this, I get
[tex]
\begin{align}
&~~~~~~μN - mg\sin\theta\\
&=μmg\cos\theta -mg\sin\theta\\
&=0.25×mg\cos\{\arctan(\frac{121}{314})\}-mg\sin\{\arctan(\frac{121}{314})\}\\
&≈-0.126mg<0
\end{align}
[/tex]
That means the magnitude of friction is less than the component of the weight (mg)
So it will slide?? I'm confused...

I think in order to not side-slip,
[tex]\begin{align}
\mu N&\geq mg\sin\theta\\
\mu mg\cos\theta&\geq mg\sin\theta\\
\tan\theta&\leq\mu\\
\theta&\leq14.04^\circ
\end {align} [/tex]

Last edited:
You need to revisit your free-body diagram.
Don't forget that the centripetal force points towards the center of the turn ... in this case: horizontally. All the forces have to add up to this one ... solve for the angle. Careful about the direction friction points - what is the motion it opposes?

12n.GIF

Notice the fbd there - if there were no friction, you'd have to go slower around the same bend.
If you tried to go too fast, you'd slide to the outside of the bend ... so the friction must oppose this and, so, point down the slope.
(note: the pic is also a link.)

At ideal speed, there's no need for friction to stop the car from sliding, right?
so if the speed is less than the ideal speed, the car would slide down and the friction would counter the motion which is pointing up.

On the other hand, if the speed is higher than the ideal speed, friction would point downwards instead, which is the case in the picture you provided.

If I have not mistaken, the turning force (centripetal force) is only caused by the Normal force and friction if there is any.

I just have a couple of observations:
gravity, ##-mg\hat{k}##, does not have a horizontal/radial component and so has no direct contribution to make to the centripetal force.

##\vec{F}_N - mg\hat{k}## (careful: that's a vector equation) may provide a horizontal component to the right in the diagram though.

The question wants the maximum speed - you are correct that there will also be a minimum speed to go around the corner without slipping. You'll also see that if you go too fast, you'll exceed the friction force and skid: that's what skidding is. Extending this should tell you why turning into the skid and declutching will get you back under control but breaking could make matters worse ;)

Related to Banked circular track with friction

1. What is a banked circular track with friction?

A banked circular track with friction is a track or path that is curved in a circular shape, and is designed to allow objects to move along it with the help of friction. Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object, and the banked track is designed to use this force to keep the object moving along the curve.

2. What is the purpose of a banked circular track with friction?

The purpose of a banked circular track with friction is to allow objects, such as cars or trains, to move along a curved path without sliding off. The banked track uses the force of friction to keep the object moving along the curve, instead of sliding off or losing control.

3. How does a banked circular track with friction work?

A banked circular track with friction works by using the force of friction to keep an object moving along the curve. The track is designed at an angle, with the outer edge being higher than the inner edge. This angle creates a component of the normal force (the force pushing the object towards the center of the curve) that acts in the direction of motion, allowing the object to stay on the track.

4. What factors affect the effectiveness of a banked circular track with friction?

The effectiveness of a banked circular track with friction is affected by several factors, including the angle of the track, the speed of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the track surface. The angle of the track and the speed of the object determine the magnitude of the component of the normal force that acts in the direction of motion, while the coefficient of friction affects the strength of the force of friction.

5. What are some real-life applications of a banked circular track with friction?

Banked circular tracks with friction are commonly used in various forms of transportation, such as car and train tracks, as well as roller coasters and amusement park rides. They are also used in sports, such as running tracks and velodromes for cycling. Additionally, banked tracks are used in engineering and construction projects to help vehicles navigate curved paths safely and efficiently.