Banked road need to find the angle

• Thread starter LDRshipphysic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, to calculate the angle at which a road should be banked for a design speed of 43 km/h and a radius of .0075 km, you can use the equation tan(θ) = v^2/rg, where v is the design speed in m/s and r is the radius in meters. The centripetal acceleration, v^2/r, can be used to find the angle using trigonometric functions, but the mass of the object is unknown and cannot be cancelled out.
LDRshipphysic
Calculate the angle at which a road should be banked for a design speed of 43 km/h and a radius of .0075 km.

Givens : radius: .075km = 75m
Vt(maybe?): 43 km/h = 11.944m/s

Unknown: angle

Im not shure about what equations to go about solving this for i know in the end I am probly going to have to cancil out mass's because that isn't given to you.. If anyone can help me it would be soooo nice!

:yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
What i attempted to do so far was

Fc=(mvt^2)/r i think i know what the diargram should look like, I am unshure on how to solve for the componits that make up the diargram tho such as Fnx, and Fny, if there was some way i could figure out the compents for Fn then i could figure out how to solve for the angle using trig functions

But because i don't know the mass of the object I am unshure how to go about solving it

How do u get

Ok, in my physics homework i know the equation that i have to use is tan(θ) = v2/rg but i don't know how you get to that, if there is some way to find out, that would be sweet for your assistance. I know that v2/r is equail to the centripital acceleration but you I am not shure the base equations that would be used, If you can help that would be great thanks.

What is a banked road and why does it need to have an angle?

A banked road is a road that is tilted or angled to one side. This angle is necessary to provide a centripetal force that helps vehicles stay on the road when making turns. Without this angle, vehicles would have a tendency to slide off the road due to the centrifugal force generated during turns.

How is the angle of a banked road determined?

The angle of a banked road is determined by the speed at which vehicles are expected to travel on the road, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the road surface and the tires. These factors are used in a mathematical formula to calculate the optimal angle for the road.

What happens if the angle of a banked road is incorrect?

If the angle of a banked road is too steep, vehicles may have difficulty staying on the road and could potentially slide off or tip over. On the other hand, if the angle is not steep enough, vehicles may experience a sideways force that could cause them to drift off the road or lose control. It is important for the angle to be calculated accurately to ensure safe driving conditions.

Are all roads banked?

No, not all roads are banked. Banked roads are typically found on curves or turns and are more commonly seen on highways or race tracks where vehicles are traveling at higher speeds. Straight roads do not require banking as there is no lateral force acting on the vehicles.

What are some other factors that can affect the angle of a banked road?

The angle of a banked road can also be affected by factors such as the type of vehicle using the road, the weight distribution of the vehicle, and the condition of the road surface. These factors can change the amount of centripetal force needed and may require adjustments to the angle of the road.