Need Help- Centripetal car problems, finding the angle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle at which a curve of radius 100m should be banked so that a car moving at 90 km/h will not require any frictional force to round it. The equations for horizontal and vertical equilibrium are discussed, as well as the concept of an inertial reference frame. Additionally, there is a mention of comparing answers for an assignment.
Lolagoeslala

Homework Statement

Find the angle at which a curve of radius 100m, should be
banked in order that a car moving at a speed 90 km/h will not
need any frictional force to round it

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so what i did was, i made two equations...
Fc=Fnsinθ
ma=mgsinθ
v^2/r=gsinθ this is the horizontal force toward the centre of the circle.

And now for the verticle equilibrium
Fg= Fncosθ is this correct i am not understanding how i would do this?

AND THE REST i am really confused about what to do...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the equations for parallel and perpendicular to the road.
Just keep in mind that you aren't dealing with an inertial reference frame. The [itex]F_c[/itex] pointing in that is your centripetal force, is the same as a centrifugal force pointing out in this reference frame.

Who r u Lola. You go to my school cause all of your questions you're asking are from an assignment. Message me back, cause i want to compare answers with u.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is required for an object to continue moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the centripetal acceleration. The formula for centripetal force is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How do you find the angle of a centripetal force?

The angle of a centripetal force can be found by using trigonometry. The angle can be calculated by taking the inverse tangent of the ratio of the vertical and horizontal components of the force. This can be represented as tan^-1(Fy/Fx).

5. How does the angle affect the centripetal force?

The angle does not affect the magnitude of the centripetal force, but it does affect the direction of the force. The angle determines the direction in which the object will turn and the direction of the centripetal force needed to keep it in a circular path.