Understanding Circular Motion and Centripetal Force

• Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race Track
In summary, the concept is that motion on a curved surface is aided by the static friction force between the tire and the road, which decreases as the angle increases. The normal force is introduced by the inward "contact" of the track. The centripetal force is equal to the sum of the radial components of all forces acting on the car.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Can anyone explain the above concept in a concise manner? I am proposing that banking aids motion at maximum speed on a curved surface. I am not totally sure how to include the role of side friction and centripetal force. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Another question relates to why at a certain speed a car experiences no sideways frictional force in a plane parrallel to the road surface. I am proposing that sideways friction induces circular motion in a car on a straight road. Since the plane is parallel to the road surface, the motion has to be linear. I am not sure how it relates to a certain speed.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No matter which way you look at it, it is circular motion. On a flat track, the radial component keeping the car going in a circle is the static friction force between the tire and the road (which is perpendicular/radial, not tangental to motion). As the banking of the track increases, the static frictional force still exists but decreases as the angle increases, and inversely, a normal force is introduced by the inward "contact" of the track. If the banking were completely vertical, there would be no more static friction force, and it would be 100% normal force. The circular motion formulas apply to all of these scenarios. The key thing to remember is that the centripetal force is equal to the sum of the radial components of all forces acting on the car.

I should add that the static friction force is limited by the coefficient of static friction, while the normal force is not, so long as the surface that's applying the normal force maintains it's structural integrity, therefore, the higher the angle of the banking, the faster you can go.

BTW, I've noticed you have posted lots of your circular motion problems looking for help. You should try and work them yourself and compare the answer to the book. If you got it wrong, it's important to your education to keep trying until you find out what you've done wrong. The explanation I've given for the two I've replied to is sufficient to answer all of these types of problems if you remember the part of centripetal force equaling the sum of the radial component of all forces, regardless of whether the forces are static friction forces (flat race track), normal forces (vertical banking, or ferris wheel), tension forces (swinging a string or a pendulum), or gravitational forces (orbit).

Remember Newton's first law. F=ma
If you want to accelerate a body, then forcenet should be applied.
And remember in a circular motion, the body is changing its direction where speed may be constant or changing, then the body is accelerating towards its center of the circle.

We have to supply this centripetal force. By string, gravity, friction or other means that supply the force.

azizlwl said:
Remember Newton's first law. F=ma
If you want to accelerate a body, then forcenet should be applied.
And remember in a circular motion, the body is changing its direction where speed may be constant or changing, then the body is accelerating towards its center of the circle.

We have to supply this centripetal force. By string, gravity, friction or other means that supply the force.

Thanks a lot. It did become an albatross. But I am slowly conquering my demons.

What is "Banking on Race Track"?

"Banking on Race Track" is a term used to describe the angled slope on the sides of a race track that allow race cars to maintain high speeds while making turns.

How does the banking on a race track affect the cars?

The banking on a race track allows cars to maintain higher speeds while turning, as the slope helps to counteract the centrifugal force that pushes the cars outwards. This allows for faster and smoother turns.

What factors determine the amount of banking on a race track?

The amount of banking on a race track is determined by various factors, including the track's size, layout, and desired speeds, as well as the type of racing and the type of vehicles that will be racing on the track.

What are the potential dangers of high banking on a race track?

High banking on a race track can increase the risk of accidents, as it allows for higher speeds and can make it more difficult for drivers to control their vehicles. It can also put extra strain on the tires and other car components, potentially leading to mechanical failures.

How do engineers determine the optimal banking for a race track?

Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the optimal amount of banking for a race track. Factors such as desired speed, vehicle weight and type, and track layout are taken into account to create a safe and efficient banking angle.