Then you can solve for the two currents.

In summary, James tried to solve the problem of calculating power dissipated in a resistor by adding the currents flowing through the component due to each voltage source, but he ran into problems because the equations for power are different for peak and rms values. He recommends doing mesh analysis to solve the problem.
James889
Hai,

I have the following circuit:
[PLAIN]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1848/powertransfer.png

My task is to calculate the power dissipated in the resistor, and also the power delivered by the V1 source.

Here's what i tried.

First i /dev/null'ed the second source and calculated the impedance
[PLAIN]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7569/powertransferzero2.png
[tex]\frac{1}{(1/j6)+(1/-j4)} = -J12[/tex]

This gives [tex]|Z| = 12-J12 \approx 17\ohm[/tex]

[tex]I_2 = \frac{48}{17} = 2.82A[/tex]

Then for the other source shorted:
[tex]\frac{1}{(1/12)+(1/6)} = 4[/tex]

This gives [tex]|Z| = 4-J4 \ohm \approx 5.65\ohm[/tex]

[tex]I_1 = \frac{8}{5.65} = 1.41A[/tex]

Now, do you add the currents or do you calculate the power dissipation in the resistance for
each of the voltage sources?

/James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for not answering your questions, but I'd just do mesh analysis with complex numbers. Also a warning, remember equations for power are different for peak and rms values.

xcvxcvvc said:
Sorry for not answering your questions
No worries..

xcvvxcxx said:
but I'd just do mesh analysis with complex numbers. Also a warning, remember equations for power are different for peak and rms values.

I would really like to solve this problem by using superposition, just for practice.

You add the currents. Superposition in circuits only works due to the linearity of current and voltage. Differently, power is proportional to the square of current or voltage.

xcvxcvvc said:
You add the currents. Superposition in circuits only works due to the linearity of current and voltage. Differently, power is proportional to the square of current or voltage.

So, in other words you can't calculate the power dissipation caused by the individual sources and add them together?

James889 said:
So, in other words you can't calculate the power dissipation caused by the individual sources and add them together?

Yes, you cannot. You must add the currents flowing through the component due to each source to calculate the power dissipated by that component.

xcvxcvvc said:
Yes, you cannot. You must add the currents flowing through the component due to each source to calculate the power dissipated by that component.

So my answer to this question would be:

[tex]1.41 + 2.82 = 4.23A[/tex]

[tex]P = I_{rms}*R \rightarrow \bigg(\frac{4.23}{\sqrt{2}}\bigg)^2 * 12= 36W[/tex]

James889 said:
So my answer to this question would be:

[tex]1.41 + 2.82 = 4.23A[/tex]

[tex]P = I_{rms}*R \rightarrow \bigg(\frac{4.23}{\sqrt{2}}\bigg)^2 * 12= 36W[/tex]

The currents could have different phase shifts, so you cannot do regular addition of the two current magnitudes. You must do vector addition (meaning you keep the angle).

Also, when you found the equivalent impedance for the parallel combination after shorting out the "other source," you didn't properly use vector math. You have to keep that j component in there.
[tex] (\frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{j6})^{-1}=2.4 + 4.8j[/tex]

Also the total current delivered by v2 is not the same as the current delivered by v2 to the resistor. You need to do current division between the 12 and the 6j impedances of that total current (and don't drop the angles!)

Seriously, though, I'd recommend doing mesh analysis:
[tex]i_1(12 + j6) + i_2(-j6) = \frac{48}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]i_1(-j6) + i_2(j6 - j4) = -\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Related to Then you can solve for the two currents.

1. What is AC power and how is it different from DC power?

AC power stands for alternating current power, which is a type of electrical energy that constantly changes direction. It is different from DC power, or direct current power, which flows in only one direction.

2. How is AC power calculated?

To calculate AC power, you need to know the voltage (V) and current (I) of the circuit. The formula for AC power is P = V x I x cos(θ), where θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current. Alternatively, you can also use the formula P = V²/R, where R is the resistance in the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for AC power?

The unit of measurement for AC power is watts (W). This represents the rate at which electrical energy is converted into other forms, such as heat, light, or mechanical energy.

4. What is the power factor and why is it important in AC power calculations?

The power factor is the ratio of the real power (P) to the apparent power (S). It indicates the efficiency of the circuit in converting electrical energy to useful work. A power factor of 1 means the circuit is 100% efficient, while a power factor less than 1 indicates wasted energy.

5. How does impedance affect AC power calculations?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in an AC circuit, similar to resistance in a DC circuit. It affects AC power calculations by reducing the amount of current flowing through the circuit, which in turn affects the power delivered to the load. Higher impedance results in lower power output.