Solve AC Circuit Analysis: Calculate Current, Real & Reactive Power

In summary, in a network with two connected nodes, a line with an impedance of 0.5 + 1.2j Ω has a voltage of 33KV at the sending end and 32.5 KV at the receiving end with a lag of 1.5°. The current in the line is 763.45 ∠ -8.38°, and the real and reactive power consumed by the line are 291.5 KW and 700 KVAr, respectively.
bd411

Homework Statement

Two nodes in a network are connected by a line with an impedance of 0.5 + 1.2j Ω. The voltage at the sending end is 33KV and at the receiving end is 32.5 KV with a lag of 1.5° compared to the sending end..

Calculate the current in the line and the real and reactive power consumed by the line itself.

Homework Equations

Standard AC circuit analysis equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got this just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything silly with the angles etc:

ISR = VS - VR / 0.5 + j1.2 = (33) - (32.5 ∠ -1.5°) / 0.5 + j1.2

= 763.45 ∠ -8.38°

Real Power consumed = I2*Re(Z) = (763.45)^2 * 1/2 = 291.5 KW
Reactive = I2Im(Z) = (763.45)^2 * 1.2 = 700KVAr

Have I done anything silly? I feel to ask because it seems unusual to me that the reactive power is larger than the real power consumed by the line.

Many thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay.

Great, thanks a lot !

1. How do you calculate current in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, current is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). However, since AC circuits have both resistance and reactance, the formula becomes I = V/Z, where Z is the impedance of the circuit.

2. What is the difference between real and reactive power?

Real power, also known as active power, is the portion of power in an AC circuit that does useful work, such as powering a device. It is measured in watts (W). Reactive power, on the other hand, is the power that does not do useful work but is required to maintain the electromagnetic field in an AC circuit. It is measured in volt-amperes reactive (VAR).

3. How do you calculate real and reactive power in an AC circuit?

Real power can be calculated using the formula P = VIcosφ, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and cosφ is the power factor. Reactive power can be calculated using the formula Q = VIsinφ, where sinφ is the reactive power factor.

4. What is the power factor in an AC circuit?

The power factor in an AC circuit is the ratio of real power to apparent power, and it represents the efficiency of the circuit. A power factor of 1 means the circuit is efficient, while a power factor less than 1 means there is some energy loss in the circuit due to reactive power.

5. How do you improve the power factor in an AC circuit?

The power factor in an AC circuit can be improved by using power factor correction techniques, such as adding capacitors to the circuit or using synchronous motors. These techniques help to reduce the amount of reactive power in the circuit, thereby improving the power factor and making the circuit more efficient.