Solving Linear Algebra Problem 8: Gauss-Jordan Method

• Thread starter cookiemnstr510510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses problem #8 in linear algebra and the method used to solve it. The person asking the question is new to linear algebra and is still learning the differences in problem directions. They also mention their struggle with using LaTex commands for matrices. The expert confirms that the person's solution is correct and explains why they did not need to include the right-most column in their augmented matrix. They also provide a simplified solution using matrices.
cookiemnstr510510
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello All,

I have a question regarding the wording of this problem and my method of solving. (Problem and directions attached in Linear.jpg) PROBLEM 8 NOT 7! :)

Here is my thought process:
Keep doing elementary row operations until we have it it gauss-jordan form, then we have our answers?! I am new to Linear algebra and am still trying to figure differences in "directions" of problems.

I haven't figured out how to use the LaTex commands with matricies yet (looked in the latex help link and can't figure it out) for now the best I can do is write my work neatly and attach. You will find my work in Problem8.jpg attached.
will learn to use Latex soon!

Thanks

Attachments

• Linear.png
    Linear.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Problem8.jpg
    Problem8.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: Just figured out how to write problems in matrix form with LaTex

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Keep doing elementary row operations until we have it it gauss-jordan form, then we have our answers?! I am new to Linear algebra and am still trying to figure differences in "directions" of problems.
Your answer to #8 looks fine, and yes that's the right strategy.
Regarding augmented matrices, for this particular problem, since the right-most column of your augmented matrix consisted solely of 0's, you really didn't need it. None of the row operations could possibly have changed these values. Once you get down to the 4 x 4 identity matrix by row operations, then your solution is ##x_1 = 0, x_2 = 0, x_3 = 0, x_4 = 0##, and this is the unique solution.

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Hello All,

I have a question regarding the wording of this problem and my method of solving. (Problem and directions attached in Linear.jpg) PROBLEM 8 NOT 7! :)

I haven't figured out how to use the LaTex commands with matricies yet (looked in the latex help link and can't figure it out) for now the best I can do is write my work neatly and attach. You will find my work in Problem8.jpg attached.
will learn to use Latex soon!

Thanks

Yes, your answer is correct, and it is easy to see without doing any work! If
$${\bf A} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -5 & 4 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 3 & 0 \\ 0& 0& 0& 2
\end{bmatrix}, \: {\bf x} = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2 \\x_3 \\x_4 \end{bmatrix}\; \text{and} \;
{\bf 0} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} $$
then your equations read as ##{\bf A x} = {\bf 0}.##

Notice that all the elements of ##{\bf A}## below the diagonal are zero; that means that your matrix has a nonzero determinant, hence has a unique inverse ##{\bf A}^{-1}##. The solution is ##{\bf x} = {\bf A}^{-1} {\bf 0} = {\bf 0}.##

1. What is the Gauss-Jordan Method?

The Gauss-Jordan Method is a mathematical algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the system into an equivalent system with a diagonal matrix, making it easier to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How does the Gauss-Jordan Method work?

The Gauss-Jordan Method involves performing elementary row operations on the augmented matrix of the system of equations. These operations include swapping rows, multiplying rows by a non-zero constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another. The goal is to transform the matrix into reduced row-echelon form, where the unknown variables can be easily solved for.

3. When should the Gauss-Jordan Method be used?

The Gauss-Jordan Method is best used when solving systems of linear equations with a large number of variables. It is also useful when the system has a unique solution, as the method guarantees a solution if one exists.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gauss-Jordan Method?

One of the main advantages of the Gauss-Jordan Method is its ability to solve systems of linear equations with a large number of variables efficiently. It also eliminates the need for back-substitution, making it more straightforward and less prone to error compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gauss-Jordan Method?

The Gauss-Jordan Method may not be suitable for solving systems of linear equations with a large number of equations, as the process can become time-consuming and tedious. It also requires a good understanding of matrix operations and may not be suitable for beginners.