Conversion and Mass Calculations: Acceleration, Momentum, and Water Mass

• Thread starter dabryanman
  • Start date
In summary: Then multiply by s to give 1 N*s in terms of m, kg, s. Finally, divide by m/s to get the final answer.
dabryanman

Homework Statement

a. if you square the accleration expressed in meters per second per second, in what unites will the answer be expressed?
b. if you divide momentum measured in N*s (1 N = 1 kg*m/s^2) by a speed expressed in meters per second, in what units will the answer be expressed?
c.a billionaire offers $1.4 billion if you will first count the amojnt in $1 bills or a lump sum of 5000 (assume you can count an average of 1 bill per second, and be sure to allow for the fact that you will need about 10 hours per day for sleeping and eating. how long will it take to count the amount in $1 bills?
d. one cubic cm (1.0 cm^3) of water has a mass of 1.0 x 10^-3 kg. determine the mass of 8.0 m^3 of water.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. no idea
b. m/s^2 / m/s = m(s)/m(s^2) = 1/s ... said seconds but apparently incorrect

c. 1400000000=3600 bills/hour(time) - 10 hrs/day ... t=388889 hours + 10 hrs/day = 16204 days + 10 hrs/day ; 10 hrs/day x 1 day/24 hours =.417 days; 16204 (.417)= 6757 days; 16024 days + 6757 days = 22961 days x 1 yr/365 days = 63 years (wrong as well)

d. 1 m= 100 cm ; 8m (100 cm/m) = 800 cm ; 800 cm (.001 kg/cm)=.8 kg (wrong)

help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you multiply or divide units, they behave the same as ordinary algebraic expression.
a) If the acceleration was measured in miles/(hour ^2), the square of this unit would be miles^2/(hour^4)
b)
[tex]\frac{kg~m}{s^2}/ \frac{m}{s}~=~\frac{kg~m}{s^2} * \frac{s}{m}~=~? [/tex]

d) 1m = 100 cm, so 1 m^3 = 100^3 cm^3 = 1,000,000 cm^3
8 cubic meters of water would have a mass vastly larger than .8 kg.

Last edited:
thanks but a was still wrong, as was B which i put kg/s...i finished the last one and got 1000 kg which was also wrong

dabryanman said:
thanks but a was still wrong,
What was your answer, and how did you get it? Just saying "I got it wrong" gives us no clue how to help you out.

The question is asking you to take the square of (m/s^2). Mark44 provided an example using different units.

as was B which i put kg/s...
That answer is indeed wrong. Perhaps start out by giving 1 N in terms of m, kg, s.

Next, multiply by s to give 1 N*s in terms of m, kg, s.

Finally, divide by m/s to get the final answer.

i finished the last one and got 1000 kg which was also wrong
Please show us your work.

sorry i don't really understand what you advised me to do for B...as for A and D, i ran out of try attempts for webassign so those are hopeless now. can anyone help me with the billionaire question I am really struggling on this and need all the points i can get.

dabryanman said:
sorry i don't really understand what you advised me to do for B.

Start out by writing 1 N in terms of m, kg, s.

1. What is the difference between a basic and advanced conversion?

Basic conversions refer to simple conversions between units of measurement, such as converting from meters to feet. Advanced conversions involve more complex calculations and may require multiple steps.

2. How do I convert between units of measurement?

To convert between units of measurement, you need to know the conversion factor, which is the ratio between the two units. Multiply the value you want to convert by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

3. What are some common conversion factors?

Some common conversion factors include 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters, 1 mile = 1.609 kilometers, and 1 pound = 0.453 kilograms.

4. Can I use an online converter for basic conversions?

Yes, there are many online converters available for basic conversions. However, it is always recommended to double check the results and understand the conversion process to ensure accuracy.

5. How do I convert between metric and imperial units?

To convert between metric and imperial units, you need to know the conversion factor for the specific units you want to convert. For example, to convert from kilograms to pounds, the conversion factor is 0.453. Multiply the value in kilograms by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in pounds.