Basic fountain design - recommendations

• Thread starter trynix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the speaker is interested in creating a basic 3d fountain design using software in their lab. They are unsure if Creo or Inventor would be better for the setup and are also looking for a software to test water flow. Another person suggests using Inventor for design but is unsure about testing water flow. They suggest using analytical modeling for water flow analysis instead of CFD, as it can be difficult to use for those unfamiliar with it. They also caution that just because a CFD simulation looks good, it may not accurately reflect real-life conditions.
trynix
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in making a basic 3d fountain design using some of the software in my lab, mainly to start developing intuition in using such software.

Would Creo or Inventor be better for the setup? Also, if I wanted to test the water flow through the fountain at different pumping powers, what would be a good software to do that (and can it import a Creo/Inventor model)? Or would CFD be the way for that?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I vote Inventor for design... but I have no idea about testing the actual water flow.

Honestly I think you're better off analyzing water flow using analytical modeling in this case. Flow between the pump and nozzle would be fairly normal for analytical techniques, and after it leaves the nozzle most CFD codes will take some gymnastics to converge on anything approaching a "real " solution.

That, plus CFD can tend to be a black art for anyone not familiar with it. As with all analysis software, just because you made a pretty picture doesn't mean it has any basis in reality...

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for my fountain?

The size of your fountain should be proportional to the space it will occupy and the overall design of your landscape. As a general rule, a small fountain should be no less than 2 feet high, and a larger fountain should be at least 3 feet high. It's also important to consider the depth of the basin, which should be at least 6 inches deep for safety and stability.

2. What type of pump should I use for my fountain?

The type of pump you use will depend on the size and design of your fountain. For smaller fountains, a submersible pump can be used, which is placed directly in the water. For larger fountains, an external pump may be necessary, which can be hidden in a separate reservoir or underground. It's important to choose a pump that is appropriate for the size and flow rate of your fountain.

3. How much water should my fountain hold?

The amount of water your fountain should hold depends on the size of the fountain and the desired water flow. As a general rule, the basin should be able to hold enough water to cover the pump and any tubing, with an additional 2-3 inches of water for splash protection. It's also important to consider the evaporation rate in your area and factor that into the size of your basin.

4. What materials are best for a fountain?

The materials you choose for your fountain will depend on personal preference and the overall design of your landscape. Common materials for fountains include stone, concrete, fiberglass, and ceramic. It's important to choose materials that are durable and able to withstand outdoor elements, as well as materials that will complement the overall aesthetic of your fountain and landscape.

5. How do I maintain my fountain?

Maintenance for fountains typically involves regular cleaning and upkeep of the pump and basin. This may include removing debris from the water, cleaning the pump and tubing, and checking for any leaks or malfunctions. It's also important to regularly add fresh water to the basin to compensate for evaporation. Additionally, fountains may need to be drained and cleaned on a seasonal basis to prevent algae growth and maintain the overall appearance of the fountain.