Basic help with Mathematica 5.2, please?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter *best&sweetest*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has just purchased the student edition of Mathematica and is seeking guidance on how to sketch solutions of a differential equation and highlight the one that satisfies the initial condition. They have tried looking for explanations on the Wolfram website but were unable to find a clear one. The person also asks for examples of code for any differential equation and initial condition. The other person suggests starting to learn how to use the software as it is straightforward once the basics are understood and provides a link with examples.
*best&sweetest*
I have just bought student edition of Mathematica and I have no idea how to so some basic stuff. Could anybody please tell me how to "sketch several typical solutions of the given differential equation and highlight the one that satisfies the initial condition" using Mathematica? I have tried looking at Wolfram website but couldn't find clear explanation.
Could you please give me some example of the code for any differential equation and any initial condition you want.
Technology is so not my thing.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start learning how to use the software? It's a pretty straightforward program once you learn the basics.

Take a look here for plenty of examples.
http://www.me.rochester.edu/courses/ME201/webexamp/exam.html

Sure, I'd be happy to help with some basic tasks in Mathematica 5.2. First, let's start by opening Mathematica and creating a new notebook. You can do this by going to File > New > Notebook. In the new notebook, you can enter the code for your differential equation and initial condition. For example, let's say we have the differential equation y''(x) + 2y'(x) + y(x) = 0 and an initial condition y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0.

To sketch several solutions and highlight the one that satisfies the initial condition, we can use the command DSolveValue. The code would look like this:

DSolveValue[{y''[x] + 2y'[x] + y[x] == 0, y[0] == 1, y'[0] == 0}, y[x], x]

This will give us the general solution to the differential equation, and we can then plot it using the command Plot. For example:

Plot[%, {x, 0, 10}]

The % symbol refers to the output of the previous command, so in this case it would be the general solution. This will give us a plot of the solution with the initial condition highlighted.

I hope this helps get you started with using Mathematica for differential equations. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your studies!

FAQ: Basic help with Mathematica 5.2, please?

1. How do I perform basic calculations in Mathematica 5.2?

To perform basic calculations in Mathematica 5.2, you can use the built-in functions such as Plus, Minus, Times, and Divide. For example, to add two numbers, you can use the syntax Plus[x,y] where x and y are the numbers you want to add. You can also use the = symbol to assign variables and perform calculations using those variables.

2. How do I plot a graph in Mathematica 5.2?

To plot a graph in Mathematica 5.2, you can use the Plot function. This function takes in an expression and plots it on a graph. You can specify the range of values for the x and y axis, as well as add labels and formatting options to the graph. You can also use other plotting functions such as ListPlot and BarChart to create different types of graphs.

3. How can I solve equations in Mathematica 5.2?

To solve equations in Mathematica 5.2, you can use the Solve function. This function takes in an equation or a system of equations and solves for the variables in terms of the other variables. You can also use the NSolve function to solve equations numerically. Additionally, Mathematica 5.2 has a built-in equation solver called EquationSolve which can be accessed through the EquationSolve palette.

4. How can I import and export data in Mathematica 5.2?

To import and export data in Mathematica 5.2, you can use the Import and Export functions. These functions allow you to import data from different file formats, such as CSV, Excel, and text files, and export data to these formats as well. You can also use the TableForm function to format and display data in a table format.

5. How can I learn more about Mathematica 5.2?

To learn more about Mathematica 5.2, you can access the built-in help system by clicking on the Help menu in the Mathematica interface. You can also find tutorials, documentation, and resources on the official Mathematica website and through online communities and forums for Mathematica users. Additionally, there are many books and online courses available that can help you learn more about Mathematica 5.2 and its capabilities.