Basic invertible matrix theorem proof.

In summary, the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem states that a square matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. The proof for this theorem involves using the properties of determinants and the definition of an invertible matrix. This theorem is significant because it allows for easy determination of invertibility, which is important in various fields. However, it cannot be extended to non-square matrices and there are many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics and engineering.
Evil Robot
If A and B are invertible matrices, can anyone prove that

(AB)^(-1) = B^(-1)*A^(-1) ?

This is not exactly the problem, I have, but my group theory problem is isomorphic to it :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Check:
With that expression for [itex](AB)^{-1}[/itex], does the following hold?

[tex](AB)^{-1}(AB)=1[/tex]

Yes, the basic invertible matrix theorem states that if A and B are invertible matrices, then the product AB is also invertible and its inverse is equal to the product of the inverses of A and B, i.e. (AB)^(-1) = B^(-1)*A^(-1). This can be proven using the definition of an inverse matrix and some basic properties of matrix multiplication.

Proof:

Let A and B be invertible matrices. This means that there exist matrices C and D such that AC = CA = I and BD = DB = I. We want to show that (AB)^(-1) = B^(-1)*A^(-1).

First, note that (AB)(B^(-1)*A^(-1)) = A(BB^(-1))A^(-1) = AIA^(-1) = AA^(-1) = I. Similarly, (B^(-1)*A^(-1))(AB) = B^(-1)(AA^(-1))B = B^(-1)IB = B^(-1)B = I.

Therefore, (B^(-1)*A^(-1)) is the inverse of AB, which means that (AB)^(-1) = B^(-1)*A^(-1). This completes the proof.

In group theory, a similar concept can be applied. If G and H are isomorphic groups, then the product GH is also isomorphic to the product of the isomorphic groups H and G. This can be proven using the definition of isomorphism and some basic properties of group multiplication.

Proof:

Let G and H be isomorphic groups. This means that there exists an isomorphism f: G → H. We want to show that GH is isomorphic to HG.

First, note that for any g1, g2 ∈ G, f(g1g2) = f(g1)f(g2) (since f is an isomorphism). Similarly, for any h1, h2 ∈ H, f(h1h2) = f(h1)f(h2).

Therefore, for any gh ∈ GH, we have f(gh) = f(g)f(h) ∈ HG. Similarly, for any hg ∈ HG, we have f(hg) = f(h)f(g) ∈ GH.

This shows that the map f': GH → HG defined by f'(gh) = f

1. What is the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem?

The Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem states that a square matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero.

2. What is the proof for the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem?

The proof for the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem involves using the properties of determinants and the definition of an invertible matrix to show that a non-zero determinant is necessary and sufficient for a matrix to be invertible.

3. What is the significance of the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem?

The Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem is significant because it allows us to easily determine if a matrix is invertible, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as solving systems of linear equations.

4. Can the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem be extended to non-square matrices?

No, the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem only applies to square matrices. For non-square matrices, there are other conditions that must be met for them to be invertible.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem?

Yes, the Basic Invertible Matrix Theorem is used in many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics and engineering, to determine if a matrix is invertible and to solve systems of equations.