Basic Kinematics: Analyzing Distance v Time and Distance v t^2 Graphs

• Thread starter dauerbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a roller descending an inclined plane and graphing the distance vs. time and distance vs. t^2. The participant believed the first graph should have a log scale and the second a straight line, but was unable to achieve a good fit. They inquire about what the graphs can tell them about the motion of the roller and how to compute the acceleration due to gravity from the graphs, as well as what the hypothetical slopes of each graph should be.
dauerbach
Just finished an experiment that seems totally screwed up. We let a roller decend an inclined plane of 7 and 9 degrees respecitvely and let it roll from 25 to 50 cm in increments of 5 cm. We then graphed distance v. time and distance v t^2. I thought the first should be a log scale, the second a straight line, but I couldn't get a good fit. What should these graphs tell me about the motion of the roller? How do I compute the acceleration due to gravity from the GRAPHS?

Physics news on Phys.org
if distance vs time gives you velocity, doing distance vs time gives you velocity, which vs. time gives you acceleration. slope of second graph is acceleration

I am not positive if this is what you were asking but, to find the acceleration vs time graph just derive the velocity vs time graph this will give you a linear graph of acceleration.

dauerbach said:
I thought the first should be a log scale, the second a straight line
You're exactly right. The first should be exponential (what simple equation tells you this?), and the second linear.

dauerbach said:
but I couldn't get a good fit.
This could just be due to bad experimental setup (e.g. weird frictions, timing inaccuracies, etc).

dauerbach said:
What should these graphs tell me about the motion of the roller? How do I compute the acceleration due to gravity from the GRAPHS?
What should (hypothetically) the slopes of each graph be?

First of all, it is important to note that the results of any experiment can sometimes be unexpected or appear to be "screwed up." This is a normal part of the scientific process and it is important to carefully analyze the data to understand what may have caused any discrepancies.

In terms of the graphs you have created, it is important to understand the relationship between distance, time, and acceleration. The distance v. time graph should show a linear relationship if the roller is moving with a constant speed. However, if the roller is accelerating, the graph will show a curved line. The distance v. t^2 graph should show a straight line if the acceleration is constant.

Based on the information provided, it seems that the roller may have been accelerating down the inclined plane. This would explain the lack of a good fit for the distance v. time graph and the curved line on the distance v. t^2 graph. To compute the acceleration due to gravity from these graphs, you can use the slope of the distance v. t^2 graph. The slope represents the acceleration, and since gravity is the only force acting on the roller, it should be equal to the acceleration due to gravity.

In order to get a more accurate result, it may be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results. Additionally, it may be useful to use more precise measurement tools and increase the range of distances measured to get a better understanding of the motion of the roller.

Overall, these graphs can tell you a lot about the motion of the roller and can help you calculate the acceleration due to gravity. However, it is important to carefully analyze the data and consider any potential sources of error to ensure accurate results.

FAQ: Basic Kinematics: Analyzing Distance v Time and Distance v t^2 Graphs

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. What is distance vs. time graph?

A distance vs. time graph is a graphical representation of an object's motion over time. The x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents distance. It can be used to analyze an object's speed and direction of motion.

3. How can I determine an object's speed from a distance vs. time graph?

The slope of a distance vs. time graph represents the object's speed. A steeper slope indicates a greater speed, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed. The units of the slope will be distance divided by time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

4. What is a distance vs. t^2 graph?

A distance vs. t^2 graph is a graphical representation of an object's motion over time squared. The x-axis represents time squared and the y-axis represents distance. It can be used to analyze an object's acceleration.

5. How can I determine an object's acceleration from a distance vs. t^2 graph?

The slope of a distance vs. t^2 graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration. The units of the slope will be distance divided by time squared, such as meters per second squared or miles per hour squared.