How Do You Calculate Heat Released When Steam Turns to Ice?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of heat released when freezing 75 grams of steam at 110 degrees Celsius into ice at -5.1 degrees Celsius. The solution will involve finding the heat released during cooling, condensation, and freezing, using the equations M*C*ΔT. The phase changes from steam to liquid and liquid to solid will also need to be taken into account.
lolphysics3

Homework Statement

How much heat is released freezing 75 grams of steam at 110 degrees celcius into ice at -5.1 degree celcius

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this problem but got an answer like -17101.6J. I don't need you guys to give me an answer but can you suggest how to setup a problem like this? I know Qlost+Qgained=0...so would the 2 phase changes (steam to liquid, liquid to solid) =0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Several parts:
- cooling the steam
- condensing the steam to water
- cooling the water to freezing point
- freezing
- cooling the ice

So would I have (Msteam*Lheatsteam)+(Mwater*Lheatwater)+(Mice*Lheatice)+(Mice*Sice+change in temp ice)=0?

(Mice*Sice+change in temp ice)=0?
Certainly not equal to zero - equal to the heat released that you are trying to find.

I don't know what "Sice" means. I would say
M*C*ΔT for each of the three coolings, where M is the mass, C the heat capacity per kg per degree and ΔT the change in temperature.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat change, m is the mass, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Since we are going from steam to ice, we will need to account for the two phase changes (steam to liquid, liquid to solid) as well as the change in temperature.

First, we need to calculate the heat lost by the steam as it cools from 110°C to 100°C (boiling point of water). We can use the specific heat capacity of steam, which is 2.01 J/g°C. So the heat lost in this step would be:

Qlost = (75 g)(2.01 J/g°C)(110°C - 100°C) = 1507.5 J

Next, we need to account for the heat lost during the phase change from steam to liquid. We can use the latent heat of vaporization of water, which is 2257 J/g. So the heat lost in this step would be:

Qlost = (75 g)(2257 J/g) = 169275 J

Now we have reached the boiling point of water, and the steam will start to condense into liquid water. We need to calculate the heat lost as the temperature of the liquid water cools from 100°C to 0°C. We can use the specific heat capacity of water, which is 4.18 J/g°C. So the heat lost in this step would be:

Qlost = (75 g)(4.18 J/g°C)(100°C - 0°C) = 31125 J

Finally, we need to account for the heat lost during the phase change from liquid to solid. We can use the latent heat of fusion of water, which is 334 J/g. So the heat lost in this step would be:

Qlost = (75 g)(334 J/g) = 25050 J

Now we have reached the freezing point of water, and the liquid water will start to freeze into ice. We need to calculate the heat lost as the temperature of the ice cools from 0°C to -5.1°C. We can use the specific heat capacity of ice, which is 2.03 J/g°C. So the heat lost in this step would be:

Qlost = (75 g)(2.03 J/g°C)(0

1. What is the definition of heat in basic physics?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature.

2. How does heat change affect the temperature of an object?

The temperature of an object will increase when heat is added and decrease when heat is removed.

3. What is the formula for calculating heat change in basic physics?

The formula for calculating heat change is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. Heat can cause a change in temperature, but they are not the same thing.

5. How does the specific heat capacity of a substance affect heat change?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. A substance with a higher specific heat capacity will require more heat to raise its temperature compared to a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.