1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic physics, interactions between multiple electrons

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    I have always wondered about this particular problem, when three electrons are arranged in a triangle and the question was to calculate the force experienced by one of the electrons. My physics teacher taught us that we only care about the forces colored in red and blue, totally ignoring the black colored one. But then, wouldn't the black colored force affect the other two electrons and cause the magnitude and direction of the forces to deviate a little? im aware that this is an extremely ideal model of electrons, and is unrealistic. Thanks in advance :smile:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When calculating the net force on charge 1, only forces on charge 1 count. The fact that charges 2 and 3 exert forces on each other has nothing to do with the forces they exert on charge 1.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your quick response, that was really helpful and cleared up my confusion :)

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4
    the black line would be important if your charges were not fixed in place and free to move and you were interested in how the particles positions change in time. But you're probably not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook