Basic Physics Question-But I'm stuck!

So as I have been completing my physics homework, there is one question I can not get passed. However I feel as if I already have the answer. The question is: What is the speed of the car 10.0 s after it begins its motion if it continues to move with the same acceleration?

The original problem states that:A certain automobile manufacturer claims that its deluxe sports car will accelerate from rest to a speed of 44.5 m/s in 8.90 s.

From what I have worked out the answer is 22.5m/s but it keeps telling me I am wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Jake

Answers and Replies

Well, without giving it all away, do you think that is a reasonable answer? (As you have stated the question, it is not.)

I think it would be helpful if we could see the work you've done, that way we can identify where exactly the mistake is!

So I went ahead and found the distance by multiplying (1/2)*44.5*10 which came out as 225. I then divided that by 10 which is the time interval the question wants me to identify. I get 22.5 which is obviously wrong for some reason, but I am still stuck nonetheless.

So I went ahead and found the distance by multiplying (1/2)*44.5*10 which came out as 225. I then divided that by 10 which is the time interval the question wants me to identify. I get 22.5 which is obviously wrong for some reason, but I am still stuck nonetheless.
Your numbers are slightly off (even for what you are doing), but my main objection is this: the question tells you that the car accelerates from rest with the same acceleration all the time - yet you claim that it will travel slower after 10 seconds than it did after 8.9 seconds.

No…at 8.9 seconds it is traveling at the same speed.

No…at 8.9 seconds it is traveling at the same speed.
Maybe I am reading this completely wrong then? "A certain automobile manufacturer claims that its deluxe sports car will accelerate from rest to a speed of 44.5 m/s in 8.90 s." To me, that certainly sounds like the car travels at 0 m/s in the beginning, and at 44.5 m/s after 8.90 s.

Uh, I'm sorry, I really don't know what I am doing with this problem. I keep getting confused with its acceleration and speed. Could you point me in the direction you would go for this problem?

Okay nevermind, it was just 5*10.

And you understand right, correct? The average acceleration of the car is ##5 \frac{m}{s^2}##, and multiplying that by the time given (ten seconds) gives you the velocity at that time.

Got it. Thanks.