Basic Refraction question. Kindly help

• Thread starter helpphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the fisherman in a 20 cm deep stream sees a rock on the stream bed. Using the assumption that the index of refraction of water is 1.33, the formula for measuring refractive index using apparent depth can be applied to determine the actual depth of the stream. This method is derived from a theory and can be easily applied to the problem at hand.
helpphysics

Homework Statement

A fisherman in a stream 20 cm deep looks downward into the water of stream
and sees a rock on the stream bed.
How deep does the stream appear to the fisherman?

Homework Equations

We Assume that the index of refraction of the water is 1.33.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not able to apply the normal angle equation here..nuts !

Physics news on Phys.org
Kindly let me know the formula concept and i will calculate myself. I am really not getting it.
Thanks in advance

The formula is derived according to the following theory.
It's a method for measuring refractive index using apparent depth, but you can apply it to your problem quite easily.
RefIndex-1.jpg

Thanks mate. You really explained me the concept behind it too
Thanks once again. yoyo !

The depth of the stream as it appears to the fisherman will be different from the actual depth of 20 cm due to refraction. Refraction is the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another with a different density. In this case, the light is passing from air to water, which has a higher density, causing the light to bend towards the normal line (the line perpendicular to the surface of the water).

To calculate the apparent depth of the stream, we can use the equation:

Apparent depth = Actual depth / Refractive index

In this case, the refractive index is 1.33 (given in the problem). Therefore, the apparent depth of the stream would be:

Apparent depth = 20 cm / 1.33 = 15.04 cm

This means that the stream would appear to be 15.04 cm deep to the fisherman, even though it is actually 20 cm deep. This is due to the bending of light as it passes from air to water.

FAQ: Basic Refraction question. Kindly help

What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This is caused by the change in speed of light when it travels from one medium to another.

What is the basic principle of refraction?

The basic principle of refraction is Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or shifted when viewed through different mediums, such as water or glass. This is because the light rays that bounce off the object are bent as they pass through the medium.

What factors affect the degree of refraction?

The degree of refraction is affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the mediums, and the wavelength of the light. The greater the angle of incidence or the difference in refractive index between the two mediums, the more the light will be bent.

Can refraction be used for practical purposes?

Yes, refraction has many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for glasses or cameras, in the creation of optical illusions, and in the study of atmospheric conditions through the refraction of light in the atmosphere. It is also essential in the functioning of devices like microscopes and telescopes.