1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Special Relativity

1. May 16, 2017 #1
    Its been a few years since I have done any special relativity so I am a bit rusty, need help with either my working/understanding or if correct, making sense of my answer. This is not CW, just a question from a past exam paper that I am using as preparation.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Street light A and B are situation 4km apart, and according to clocks on the ground were switched on at exactly the same time. According to an observer on a "train" moving from A to B at 0.6c, which light switched on first? How much later, in seconds, did the second light go on?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##
    ##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) ##
    ## t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) ##

3. The attempt at a solution

In this course we have used the matrix form of the Lorentz Transform as standard but its easier/quicker to code the TeX without it as I am not used to matrices in TeX.

But that method made me associated the coordinates [ in (t,x) ] for A as (0,0) and for B as (4km,0) . Using these two coordinates I then transformed them into the prime (observers) frame.

But first to make things quicker I just found ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{1-0.6^2} } = 1.25##

For A:
    ##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) = \gamma \left(0-0.6c(0) \right) = 0 ##
    ## t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) = \gamma \left( 0 - \frac{(0.6c)(0)}{c^2} \right) = 0##

For B:
    ##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) = 1.25 \left(4000-0.6c(0) \right) = 5000##m
    ##t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) = 1.25 \left( 0 - \frac{(0.6)(4000)}{c} \right) = -1 \times 10^{-5} \textrm{s} = -10 \mu s##

So is it that for the observer light B turned on first and turned on ##10 \mu s## before A did?

Any help appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted