Which light turned on first and how much later did the second one turn on?

In summary, the observer on a train moving from A to B sees that light A turns on first, but light B turns on later by about 10 mu seconds.
ChrisJ
Its been a few years since I have done any special relativity so I am a bit rusty, need help with either my working/understanding or if correct, making sense of my answer. This is not CW, just a question from a past exam paper that I am using as preparation.

1. Homework Statement

Street light A and B are situation 4km apart, and according to clocks on the ground were switched on at exactly the same time. According to an observer on a "train" moving from A to B at 0.6c, which light switched on first? How much later, in seconds, did the second light go on?

Homework Equations

##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##
##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) ##
## t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In this course we have used the matrix form of the Lorentz Transform as standard but its easier/quicker to code the TeX without it as I am not used to matrices in TeX.

But that method made me associated the coordinates [ in (t,x) ] for A as (0,0) and for B as (4km,0) . Using these two coordinates I then transformed them into the prime (observers) frame.

But first to make things quicker I just found ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{1-0.6^2} } = 1.25##

For A:
##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) = \gamma \left(0-0.6c(0) \right) = 0 ##
## t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) = \gamma \left( 0 - \frac{(0.6c)(0)}{c^2} \right) = 0##

For B:
##x' = \gamma \left( x-vt \right) = 1.25 \left(4000-0.6c(0) \right) = 5000##m
##t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right) = 1.25 \left( 0 - \frac{(0.6)(4000)}{c} \right) = -1 \times 10^{-5} \textrm{s} = -10 \mu s##

So is it that for the observer light B turned on first and turned on ##10 \mu s## before A did?

Any help appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Likes ChrisJ

1. What is the definition of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

In Newtonian mechanics, space and time are considered absolute and independent of each other. However, in special relativity, space and time are relative and can only be understood in relation to each other. Special relativity also introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction, which are not present in Newtonian mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted as c, plays a crucial role in special relativity. It is considered to be the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and the laws of physics change when an object approaches this speed.

4. How does special relativity impact our understanding of space and time?

Special relativity challenges our traditional understanding of space and time as absolute and unchanging. It shows that space and time are intertwined and can be affected by factors such as motion and gravity. It also suggests that the concept of simultaneity, or events happening at the same time, is not absolute but depends on the observer's frame of reference.

5. What are some real-life applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used in many modern technologies. For example, GPS systems would not work accurately without taking into account the effects of time dilation. Special relativity also plays a crucial role in nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and the study of cosmology.