1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic trig manipulation in limits

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1

Given this limit
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{1-cos(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]

can you rearrange

[tex](sin(x) (\frac{cos(h)-1}{h}))[/tex]

[tex](sin(x) \cdot -1 \cdot (\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}))[/tex]

so that when you take the limit as h goes to 0 you get: sin(x) x -1 x 0 = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    Also, how do i get 'big brackets' when i write my equations

many thanks
  4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} sin(x) \left(\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}\right) = sin(x) \lim_{h \to 0} \left(\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}\right)= sin(x) \cdot 0 = 0[/tex]

sin(x) doesn't depend on h, so as far as the limit process is concerned, sin(x) is a constant. The limit of a constant times a function is the constant times the limit of the function.

For big parentheses use \left( and \right) inside your tex tags. For big brackets use \left[ and \right]
  5. Jun 8, 2010 #4

but the equation is in the form (cos(h)-1)/h not 1-cos(h)/h

that's why i was asking about multiplying by -1 to get it in the right form
  6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    This should answer your question. In this case, it matters not since the limit is 0, but in general a change of sign is in order.
  7. Jun 8, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

Instead of multiplying by -1, factor out -1.

(cos(h) - 1)/h = -1(-cos(h) + 1)/h = -(1 - cos(h))/h

As Tedjn points out, it doesn't make any difference in this case, since the limit of this expression is 0.
  8. Jun 8, 2010 #7
    Sorry i meant factor out -1, not multiply

I'm teaching this myself and not very confident which is why i wanted to check why the 2 forms both have a limit of 0

I know how to show that the limit of the first form (1-cos(h)/h) = 0 but the only way i know how to show the limit of the second form (cos(h)-1/(h) = 0 is by factoring out the -1 to get the first form. Is it possible to show that the limit of the second form is 0 directly?

With the first form you multiply the numerator by its conjugate, 1+cos(x), to get
    1-cos(x) . 1+cos(x) all over
    x . 1 + cos(x)

this becomes
    sin2(x)/x . 1/(1+cos(x)) to get sin(x) . sin(x)/x . 1/(1+cos(x))
  9. Jun 8, 2010 #8
    In the second, you get a first term -sin(x) instead; that is the only difference. The conclusion then follows for the same reason. It's because the -1 carries through the entire way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook