Can Trigonometric Manipulation Affect Limit Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging an equation in order to take the limit as h approaches 0. The expert summarizer explains that by factoring out -1, both forms of the equation have a limit of 0. The expert also provides a tip for using big brackets in equations.
Moogie
Hi

Given this limit
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{1-cos(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]

can you rearrange

[tex](sin(x) (\frac{cos(h)-1}{h}))[/tex]

to

[tex](sin(x) \cdot -1 \cdot (\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}))[/tex]

so that when you take the limit as h goes to 0 you get: sin(x) x -1 x 0 = 0

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how do i get 'big brackets' when i write my equations

many thanks

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} sin(x) \left(\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}\right) = sin(x) \lim_{h \to 0} \left(\frac{1-cos(h)}{h}\right)= sin(x) \cdot 0 = 0[/tex]

sin(x) doesn't depend on h, so as far as the limit process is concerned, sin(x) is a constant. The limit of a constant times a function is the constant times the limit of the function.

For big parentheses use \left( and \right) inside your tex tags. For big brackets use \left[ and \right]

Thanks

but the equation is in the form (cos(h)-1)/h not 1-cos(h)/h

that's why i was asking about multiplying by -1 to get it in the right form

Mark44 said:
The limit of a constant times a function is the constant times the limit of the function.

This should answer your question. In this case, it matters not since the limit is 0, but in general a change of sign is in order.

Moogie said:
Thanks

but the equation is in the form (cos(h)-1)/h not 1-cos(h)/h

that's why i was asking about multiplying by -1 to get it in the right form
Instead of multiplying by -1, factor out -1.

(cos(h) - 1)/h = -1(-cos(h) + 1)/h = -(1 - cos(h))/h

As Tedjn points out, it doesn't make any difference in this case, since the limit of this expression is 0.

Sorry i meant factor out -1, not multiply

I'm teaching this myself and not very confident which is why i wanted to check why the 2 forms both have a limit of 0

I know how to show that the limit of the first form (1-cos(h)/h) = 0 but the only way i know how to show the limit of the second form (cos(h)-1/(h) = 0 is by factoring out the -1 to get the first form. Is it possible to show that the limit of the second form is 0 directly?

With the first form you multiply the numerator by its conjugate, 1+cos(x), to get
1-cos(x) . 1+cos(x) all over
x . 1 + cos(x)

this becomes
sin2(x)/x . 1/(1+cos(x)) to get sin(x) . sin(x)/x . 1/(1+cos(x))

In the second, you get a first term -sin(x) instead; that is the only difference. The conclusion then follows for the same reason. It's because the -1 carries through the entire way.

1. What is the basic concept of trig manipulation in limits?

The basic concept of trig manipulation in limits involves using trigonometric identities and properties to simplify expressions and solve limits involving trigonometric functions.

2. Why is trig manipulation important in limits?

Trig manipulation is important in limits because it allows us to evaluate limits involving trigonometric functions, which are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some common trig identities used in limits?

Some common trig identities used in limits include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double and half-angle identities.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a limit using trig manipulation?

Sure, consider the limit , we can use the double angle identity for sine to rewrite the expression as . Then, using the quotient identity for tangent, we get . Finally, plugging in , we get the value of 1.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying expressions using trig manipulation in limits?

One tip is to always look for opportunities to use a trig identity or property to simplify the expression. It may also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different trig identities and how they can be applied in limits.