Calculating Voltage in a Simple Divider Circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework question about calculating the voltage at a node between two resistors in a schematic. The discussion included the application of KVL to solve for the current, but the question was ultimately deleted by the original poster.
fonz

Homework Statement

Not technically a homework question but part of a piece of work I am studying. I need to calculate the voltage at the node in between the 10k and 27k resistors in the following schematic. I'll call it Vo.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/213624

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
By KVL:

15 - i(10k) - i(27k) -15 = 0

i(-37k) = 0

So I can't work out the current and therefore can't work out the voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
Still to be posted in homework. Never mind. What about the signs (all four of them...) ?

The notation is a bit confusing, but whatever. The right-hand voltage source is shown with the + end toward the resistors, but the value of the supply is shown as -15V. So the left end of the resistors is sitting at +15V and the right end is at -15V. So what is the voltage across the string of resistors?

Thread closed for Moderation...

OP deleted his question after receiving help on homework. That is not allowed. Poster is on a short vacation from the PF.

The image in his (now restored) OP was two voltage sources, +15V at the left and -15V at the right, and two resistors in the middle as a divider. Thread is closed and archived.

1. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a simple electronic circuit that divides a higher voltage into a lower voltage. It consists of two resistors connected in series, with the voltage output taken from the junction between the two resistors.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by utilizing the principle of Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it. In a voltage divider, the voltage across each resistor is directly proportional to its resistance, resulting in a lower voltage at the output.

3. What is the purpose of a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable reference voltage for other components, such as sensors or microcontrollers. It can also be used to reduce the voltage in a circuit to a safe level for certain components.

4. How do you calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider?

The output voltage of a voltage divider can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the value of the first resistor, and R2 is the value of the second resistor.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of a voltage divider?

The accuracy of a voltage divider can be affected by several factors, including the tolerances of the resistors used, the temperature of the circuit, and the current flowing through the circuit. It is important to use high-quality and precise resistors to ensure the accuracy of the voltage divider.