Batteries/lighting questions

• Thread starter DocToxyn
  • Start date
In summary: Without that, they're just going to give you a bright spot on the ground in front of you. This is something you'll need to consider if you're going to use them.
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
Disclaimer: Forgive me if I phrase these questions poorly, I'm new to electronics.

I am looking into a lighting system for my bicycle which would include something along the lines of a dual halogen bulb set-up powered by either a NiMh (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7180509374&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 ) battery pack. Besides the weight issue, the Li ion is about half the weight, are there any other advantages (or disadvantages) to the Li ion pack?

Also, I would like to include some LEDs on the bike as "running lights" to enable cars to see me better at night. The manufacturer of the Li ion battery states that other light systems should not be used with that particular set-up, but does nont make this claim for NiMh kits that they sell. I think Li ion batteries have a greater chance of explosion is used improperly, would this be a possibility if I powered maybe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4573369618&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT along with the halogen bulbs? The LEDs are rated for use between 6 and 18 V and are pre-wired with resistors and 26g wire, so I think they should work. If they would indeed work, what would be the best way to hook them in with the existing lighting unit? If I haven't provided enough info, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The danger of exploding Li ion batteries from what I've read comes from recharging them with improper chargers. You'll need to look for a charger that says it's specifically for Li ion batteries or battery packs. The only other way I'd see them burning up is by drawing so much current across them that it's the equivelent of a dead short (but that would pretty much burn up any battery).

"...I would like to include some LEDs on the bike as "running lights" to enable cars to see me better at night..."

I looked at the LEDs on your ebay link. I think you should consider something else. In order to use them as "running LIghts" you need some kind of lensing to spread their beams a little.

What is the difference between a battery and a power source?

A battery is a type of power source that stores energy chemically and converts it into electricity, while a power source can refer to any device that supplies electrical energy to a circuit.

Can I use different types of batteries in the same device?

It is not recommended to use different types of batteries in the same device, as they may have different voltage and power outputs that could damage the device or cause it to malfunction.

What is the best way to dispose of old batteries?

The best way to dispose of old batteries is to recycle them. Many cities and municipalities have designated drop-off locations for battery recycling. You can also check with your local recycling center for more information.

How can I increase the lifespan of my batteries?

To increase the lifespan of your batteries, you should store them in a cool and dry place, avoid overcharging them, and use the correct type of charger for your specific battery. It is also important to fully discharge and recharge your batteries regularly.

Can I recharge non-rechargeable batteries?

No, it is not safe to recharge non-rechargeable batteries. Attempting to do so can cause the battery to leak or even explode. Always use the correct type of battery and charger for your device.