How Can I Calculate Battery Discharge Time Using a Formula?

In summary, the conversation is about conducting a school experiment involving a 9v battery, a 180 ohm resistor, and a multimeter to calculate the battery's lifespan at different temperatures. The formula for this calculation is being discussed and it is suggested to use at least four batteries and record the times for each temperature. The conversation also mentions using a linear approximation for the data collected.
abhipatil419
Hi guys!
For a school experiment we are supposed to connect a 9v battery to a 180 ohm resistor and multimeter and calculate how long it take to die at different temperatures .
does anyone know how can i do this using a formula? I will need it in my report.

Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me as though they want you to find the formula by performing the experiment.
How many temperature values will you be using? What voltage value are you using as the threshold for a "dead" battery?

I would think that you would use at least four 9V batteries, allow each to settle on one of four well-measured and well-distributed temperatures, check them periodically for "death", and measure and record the time.
The plot the results and fit a formula to them.

Using a Duracell and "death" at 0.1V at 50mA, expect you timings to be in the 5 to 8 hour range.

Hey Scott!
I have already conducted the experiment today with 3 diff. batteries at 3 temperatures : -22 C, 24 C and 35 C
the resistance was 180 ohm
the voltage cut off was 7 volts

I am having trouble producing a formula that fits

What were you times? Is there approximately a linear relationship or is it more complicated?

Here you go :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 16.33.09.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 16.33.09.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 537
abhipatil419 said:
Here you go :)
Hmmm... 14 minutes between .Scott's post and your reply suggests that you didn't spend any time thinking about what @.Scott said. Let's try this again:
.Scott said:
Is there approximately a linear relationship or is it more complicated?

According to the text on your plot, the temperatures are -22, 25, 47. According to your post, they are -22, 24, 35.
If it's -22, 25, 47, a linear approximation is probably not good enough. You should collect more data - say at 2 and 36.
If it's -22, 24, 35, use the linear approximation. What kind of "best fit" methods are you learning about?

Likes bsheikho

1. How do you conduct a battery discharge experiment?

In a battery discharge experiment, a battery is connected to a circuit or device and allowed to run until it reaches a low voltage or stops working altogether. This can be done by connecting the battery to a resistor and measuring the change in voltage over time, or by using a device that draws a constant amount of current from the battery.

2. What is the purpose of a battery discharge experiment?

The purpose of a battery discharge experiment is to determine the capacity and performance of a battery. By measuring the voltage and current over time, the experiment can show how long the battery can power a device and how quickly it loses its charge.

3. What factors can affect the results of a battery discharge experiment?

The results of a battery discharge experiment can be affected by various factors, such as the type and age of the battery, the temperature, the load on the battery, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment. It is important to control these variables to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. How can the results of a battery discharge experiment be analyzed?

The results of a battery discharge experiment can be analyzed by plotting the voltage and current data on a graph and looking for patterns or trends. The capacity of the battery can also be calculated by integrating the current over time. Additionally, comparisons can be made between different types of batteries or between the same battery under different conditions.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when conducting a battery discharge experiment?

When conducting a battery discharge experiment, it is important to handle the battery with care and follow proper safety precautions. This may include wearing gloves and safety glasses, working in a well-ventilated area, and avoiding contact with any corrosive materials. It is also important to use the correct equipment and follow the manufacturer's instructions to prevent any accidents or damage to the battery or equipment.