Battery provides a potential difference problem

In summary, after switch S is closed, the capacitor will hold a charge of 1/2 the total that was pumped into it when switch S was open.
secret5437

Homework Statement

The capacitor in Fig. 25-25 has a capacitance of 27 µF and is initially uncharged. The battery provides a potential difference of 118 V. After switch S is closed, how much charge will pass through it? (picture is in the attachment)

Homework Equations

C = Q/V
U = Q2/2e = QV/2 = CV2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is really easy, but for some reason, i just can't get it.

Attachments

• physics2.gif
    physics2.gif
    852 bytes · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org

Can't see the image.
But let's start with how much charge IS in the capacitor?

Write out the equation, and tell me. I will be online for another 10 minutes.
We can solve this in 5 minutes.

i'm trying to figure out how much charge runs through the capacitor.
it has a capacitance of 27 microfarads. and the battery provides a potential difference of 118 V.

I'm pretty sure the equation is C = Q/V
which would be simplified to C x V = Q
so that would be 27 x 118...wouldnt it?

good job. Don't forget your units.

Now remember that the charge entering the one side of the capacitor has to equal that returning to the battery from the other side.

Have you learned about time decay of capacitors yet?

nope.

Normally what you would do is integrate the current flowing from the battery to the capacitor. This means taking into account the resistance of the wires and anything in between the capacitor and battery.

But if you haven't had this, LET CHEAT! We really don't need to know all the minutia.

The cap will hold a certain level of charge. Now THINK. If you have two plates of a capacitor, one having negative charges pumped into it. The other plate will have negative charges pulled away from it.

Potential difference is just the voltage difference between two things. It does not matter what the gauge offset is.

SO if the switch IS one leg. That means 1/2 the charges flow through it.

See ya.

got it! thanks.

What is a potential difference?

A potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a crucial factor in determining how much current will flow through the circuit.

How does a battery provide a potential difference?

A battery uses a chemical reaction to produce electrical energy. This energy is stored in the battery's electrodes and creates a potential difference between the positive and negative terminals. When a circuit is connected, the potential difference causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating an electric current.

What happens if a battery's potential difference is too low?

If a battery's potential difference is too low, it will not be able to provide enough energy to power a device. This can result in the device not working properly or not working at all. It may also cause the battery to drain quickly and need to be replaced sooner.

Can a battery's potential difference be increased?

No, a battery's potential difference is determined by its chemical makeup and cannot be increased. However, you can connect multiple batteries in series to increase the overall potential difference. This is commonly done in devices that require higher voltages to function.

What factors can affect a battery's potential difference?

There are several factors that can affect a battery's potential difference, including its chemistry, age, temperature, and usage. Batteries with different chemistries, such as alkaline or lithium-ion, will have different potential differences. As a battery ages, its potential difference may decrease. Temperature can also affect the potential difference, with colder temperatures typically resulting in a lower potential difference. Finally, how much energy the battery has already provided, or how much current is being drawn from it, can also impact the potential difference.