Borek: Understand Zinc Carbon Battery Electrolyte Solution

• Thread starter MotoPayton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of the electrolyte solution and the separator in a zinc carbon battery. The electrolyte solution allows for the flow of electrons, but the current only flows when the positive and negative ends of the battery are connected. The separator is a porous membrane that prevents direct contact between the electrodes while allowing for the flow of ions. The ideal separators for a zinc air battery are polypropylene and polysulfonium membranes, but it may be possible to obtain them from a nearby store or a chemistry professor. A generic separator with a KOH electrolyte may also be suitable.
MotoPayton
Say for a example in a zinc carbon battery. The anode and cathode are placed in the same ammonium chloride solution as the electrolyte. The zinc outer shell is the anode and is separated from the cathodic Mn02/carbon paste by a thin paper.

My question is on the electrolyte solution. If the electrolyte solutions allow for electrons to flow and travel through it then why do the electrons not take this pathway? Instead current only flows when the positive and negative ends of the battery are connected.

Can someone(borek) help me understand what this electrolyte solution is doing(especially regarding the balance of charge).

It must have something to do with the separator... The separator must be non-conductive yet still be permeable to the electrolyte ions?? I am guessing now...

Thanks

I will be on the computer all day researching batteries so expect a quick follow up question if anyone answers this

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ok I found the answer to my question

A separator is a porous membrane placed between
electrodes of opposite polarity, permeable to ionic flow
but preventing electric contact of the electrodes.

Now the question is what is a good separator to use in a zinc air battery.

I found on the internet that polypropylene membranes are used and polysulfonium membrane are ideal.
Is there a way I could obtain these materials from a nearby store? Or do you think my Chemistry professor would have such a thing.

If not what is the best generic separator to use(with a KOH electrolyte)?

Related to Borek: Understand Zinc Carbon Battery Electrolyte Solution

1. What is Borek?

Borek is a type of zinc carbon battery electrolyte solution used in battery technology. It is a mixture of zinc chloride, ammonium chloride, and water.

2. How does Borek work in a battery?

Borek acts as an electrolyte solution, allowing for the flow of ions between the battery's positive and negative electrodes. This flow of ions generates the electrical current that powers the battery.

3. What are the advantages of using Borek in batteries?

Borek is a low-cost and easily accessible electrolyte solution, making it a popular choice for battery technology. It also has a high conductivity, allowing for efficient ion flow and improved battery performance.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using Borek in batteries?

Borek is generally considered safe to use in batteries. However, it is important to handle it carefully as it can be corrosive and may cause skin irritation. It is also important to keep it away from children and pets.

5. Is Borek a sustainable option for battery technology?

Borek is not considered a sustainable option for battery technology as it is primarily made from non-renewable resources. However, efforts are being made to develop more environmentally friendly electrolyte solutions for batteries.