Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam Bending, beyond the basics, a little

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Ok, I am fairly comfortable with beam bending equasions for simple rectangles. However, I am totally confused on how to approach other cross sections... like a channel can someone help? Or point me to a good online instructional resource? I have googled all I can think of...

-Mark

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What else are you changing other than the cross sectional MOI?

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For simple beam bending calculations, all you have to do is calculate the MOI for the section. Whether its an I-beam or a circular tube, all of the beam equations are the same (although some stress distributions may change).

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    Thanks! I must have been over thinking it. I was sort of approaching it as taking each side of the tube, and top and bottom, calculating MOI for each...and adding them together. Thanks for the help!

Great forum!

-Mark

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's pretty close to how you would calculate the MOI, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

...but for common cross-sections like an I-beam, formulas for it's section properties have already been calculated in detail, you just have to find them. Here is one resource: http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/Common_Cross_Section_Index.cfm

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook