Transforming Spherical Angles to Cartesian Coordinates for Beam Dynamics

In summary: Since the ratio is constant it is the same.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to compton scattering and using equations to calculate the transformation between spherical and Cartesian coordinates. The speakers also discuss the role of energy and the approximation for calculating the derivative in this scenario. They ultimately reach a conclusion that the ratio is more important than the actual derivative in this situation.
Alkass
Hello

I have this problem - From a generator, I get a compton scattering with the electrons theta and phi angles.
where I having the following equations for a particle

px = E_particle * sin (theta) * cos (phi);
py = E_particle * sin (theta) * sin (phi);
pz = E_particle * cos (theta);

where polar angle θ (theta), and azimuthal angle φ (phi). So, I am trying to build some kind of spherical-Cartesian transformation, as I need to have y'=dx/dy and x'=dz/dx in order to build the transfer matrix for beam dynamics (ie transport of the beam inside a magnet following thin lens approximation)

Would that be possible to have such transformation ?

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alkass said:
Hello

I have this problem - From a generator, I get a compton scattering with the electrons theta and phi angles.
where I having the following equations for a particle

px = E_particle * sin (theta) * cos (phi);
py = E_particle * sin (theta) * sin (phi);
pz = E_particle * cos (theta);

where polar angle θ (theta), and azimuthal angle φ (phi). So, I am trying to build some kind of spherical-Cartesian transformation, as I need to have y'=dx/dy and x'=dx/d in order to build the transfer matrix for beam dynamics (ie transport of the beam inside a magnet following thin lens approximation)

Would that be possible to have such transformation ?

Thanks

Alex

Are you trying to express spherical coordinates in terms of the Cartesian coordinates? This is found in many sources.

For example http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Well, maybe I am missing something - The movement of the particles is along the z-axis (ie the reference obrit) and I need to calculate the y' = ds/dy and x'=ds/dx - So, the y' is actually the theta angle, but the phi angle accounts for the angle in the X-Y plane, while I would need the x' = the angle on the X-Z plane meaning I need the roll angle about the local s-axis...

Alkass said:
Well, maybe I am missing something - The movement of the particles is along the z-axis (ie the reference obrit) and I need to calculate the y' = ds/dy and x'=ds/dx - So, the y' is actually the theta angle, but the phi angle accounts for the angle in the X-Y plane, while I would need the x' = the angle on the X-Z plane meaning I need the roll angle about the local s-axis...

This is entirely derivable in terms of the angles. You are trying to calculate the ratio between the change in y (or x ) to the change in z. Since you are keeping the direction constant, the angles don't change and the change in the total distance ([itex]\Delta r[/itex]) cancels out. Use the relation between the coordinates given in the link to take the ratio and get the results.

ofirg said:
This is entirely derivable in terms of the angles. You are trying to calculate the ratio between the change in y (or x ) to the change in z. Since you are keeping the direction constant, the angles don't change and the change in the total distance (Δr\Delta r) cancels out. Use the relation between the coordinates given in the link to take the ratio and get the results.

I guess you mean relation (95) ? And what happens to the dr ? for me I am starting with some energy / px, py,pz instead...

Alkass said:
I guess you mean relation (95) ? And what happens to the dr ? for me I am starting with some energy / px, py,pz instead...

The energy doesn't matter here. You have particles moving in some direction [itex] (\theta,\phi) [/itex] and want to calculate [itex] \frac{dx}{dz},\frac{dy}{dz} [/itex](or you can use s instead of z). Relation 95 is much more complicated than what you need since in your case [itex] (\Delta \theta,\Delta \phi) [/itex] are zero. From relations 4,5,6 you can get [itex] (\Delta x, \Delta y, \Delta z [/itex]) for [itex] (\Delta \theta = 0,\Delta \phi = 0) [/itex]. [itex] \Delta r [/itex] cancels out in the ratio and you get want your looking for. Notice that in the formulas in this link the roles of [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex] are switched.

Alkass said:
y' = ds/dy and x'=ds/dx
I would expect that to be y'=dy/ds and x'=dx/ds.
With s=z (to a very good approximation outside magnets if I remember correctly), this is y'=dy/ds=py/pz.
The energy cancels in this ratio.

Likes Alkass
ofirg said:
The energy doesn't matter here. You have particles moving in some direction [itex] (\theta,\phi) [/itex] and want to calculate [itex] \frac{dx}{dz},\frac{dy}{dz} [/itex](or you can use s instead of z). Relation 95 is much more complicated than what you need since in your case [itex] (\Delta \theta,\Delta \phi) [/itex] are zero. From relations 4,5,6 you can get [itex] (\Delta x, \Delta y, \Delta z [/itex]) for [itex] (\Delta \theta = 0,\Delta \phi = 0) [/itex]. [itex] \Delta r [/itex] cancels out in the ratio and you get want your looking for. Notice that in the formulas in this link the roles of [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex] are switched.

So, then I guess I need to calculate the actual derivative *not* just the ratio, right ?

mfb said:
I would expect that to be y'=dy/ds and x'=dx/ds.
With s=z (to a very good approximation outside magnets if I remember correctly), this is y'=dy/ds=py/pz.
The energy cancels in this ratio.

Yes, that is correct ie y'=dy/ds and x'=dx/ds as you care about the change of y/x on the direction of the movement ;-) So, when you say "outside of magnets" what do you mean ? and what about x' ? is there a similar approximation (and any reference would be great!)

Thanks bunch!

Alkass said:
So, then I guess I need to calculate the actual derivative *not* just the ratio, right ?

Since the ratio is constant it is the same.

Alkass said:
So, when you say "outside of magnets" what do you mean ?
(Dipole) magnets give a changing z-direction with s which is ugly, but should not matter as your compton scattering happens at a single point anyway.

Alkass said:
and what about x' ?
Same as for y', of course.
Simple algebra, nothing you would find in a reference I guess. Books of beam dynamics should cover that somewhere.

1. What is the purpose of transforming spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates in beam dynamics?

The purpose of transforming spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates in beam dynamics is to convert the angular positions of particles in a spherical coordinate system to their corresponding positions in a Cartesian coordinate system. This allows for a more precise and accurate description of the particle's trajectory and behavior in the beamline.

2. How is the transformation from spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates performed?

The transformation from spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates is performed using mathematical equations that take into account the radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle of the particle. These equations involve trigonometric functions and can be solved using either manual calculations or computer programs.

3. What are the advantages of using Cartesian coordinates over spherical coordinates in beam dynamics?

Cartesian coordinates offer several advantages over spherical coordinates in beam dynamics. They provide a simpler and more intuitive representation of a particle's position and motion, making it easier to analyze and predict its behavior. Cartesian coordinates also allow for easier integration with other mathematical and computational tools, which is essential in modern beam dynamics research.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Cartesian coordinates in beam dynamics?

One limitation of using Cartesian coordinates in beam dynamics is that they do not take into account the curvature of the beamline. This can be a significant factor in some particle accelerators, and using spherical coordinates may be more appropriate. Additionally, in some cases, the transformation from spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates can introduce errors, which may need to be corrected for more precise calculations.

5. Can the transformation from spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates be applied to any particle in a beam?

Yes, the transformation from spherical angles to Cartesian coordinates can be applied to any particle in a beam, regardless of its mass or charge. This is because the transformation is based on the particle's angular position, which does not depend on its physical properties. However, the resulting Cartesian coordinates may have different meanings for particles with different characteristics (e.g., electrons vs. protons), and this should be taken into consideration when analyzing the data.