Beam is suspended on two ropes

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the Homework Statement says that a beam shaped like letter L is suspended by two ropes of the same length. The longer arm is three times longer than the shorter arm. The overall length of the beam is also the length of one rope. Look at each situation in the figures and determine the forces acting on the rope at points A and B. In the first situation, there is a picture to help you. In the second situation, you are asked to solve the same equation. The difference is that the line of force is different.
Numeriprimi

Homework Statement

Homogeneous beam shaped in letter L is suspended on two ropes of the same length l.
The beam is of negligible thickness and its longer arm is three times longer than the shorter arm. Its overall length is l as well as the length of one rope. Look at each situation in the figures. How can I determine the forces acting on the rope at points A and B in both situations?
There is picture on first example: http://fyzikalniolympiada.cz/archiv/55/fo55a1_z.pdf

2. The attempt at a solution
A)
So, I have some equalities...
1) the resultant force is zero
T_1+T_2-F_G = 0
T_1+T_2 = F_G = mg
2) the resultant moment is zero
M_1 + M_2 = 0
... where is the axis of rotation? in C?
and if the axis of rotation in C, where is the arm of forces? (the d from equation M=Fd)
... it is a perpendicular line from C to lengthened shape?
What is different in the second situation? apply the same equation?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:
So, I have some equalities...
1) the resultant force is zero
T_1+T_2-F_G = 0
T_1+T_2 = F_G = mg
2) the resultant moment is zero
M_1 + M_2 = 0

Good, so far.

... where is the axis of rotation? in C?

There is no rotation. Any point can be used to compute moments. But because your equation has only the moments of the tension in the ropes, that point must be C (otherwise, you would have the moment of weight).

and if the axis of rotation in C, where is the arm of forces? (the d from equation M=Fd)
... it is a perpendicular line from C to lengthened shape?

It is the distance between the line of force and the line parallel to the force passing through C.

What is different in the second situation? apply the same equation?

Same equation, but note that the line of force is different.

Ok, thanks.
AC = 2/3 l; BC = 1/3 l
(AB)^2 = (AC)^2 - (BC)^2 = (2/3 l)^2 - (1/3 l)^2 = 3/9 l^2
AB = √(3/9 l^2) = √3 /3 * l = 1/√3 * l

I'll add a point on pictures
X ... point making right triangle XBC
I can make two equations by Pytgagoras equation.
1) (AB - XC)^2 = AC^2 - AX^2
(1/√3 * l - XC)^2 = (2/3 * l)^2 - AX^2
2) XC^2 = BC^2 - AX^2
XC^2 = (1/3 * l)^2 - AX^2

I have two unknows in the equations... So, I can solve it.
I have to know XC anc AB-XC fordetermining moments.
Than M= T_1*(AB-XC) - T_2*XC
And then I will have some system of equations for determinate T_1 and T_2.
It is true?

However, what with B? Same solution, but no AB-XC an XC, but different progress? So, XC an YC.

I misdirected you in my previous post. I said that if you choose C as the point about which the moments of force are computed, then the moment of weight will be zero. That is not correct.

I think it will be better to find the location of the center of mass in both cases then compute moments about this center. Are you familiar with the formula for the moment of force that uses the sine function?

Why it isn't correct?
Hmm, no, I know only basic formulas :-(

There are three forces: two in the ropes and the weight of the beam.

The weight of the beam acts as if it was applied to the center of mass of the beam. To compute its moment properly, you have to know its center of mass.

This is a repost of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=730319.
Numeriprimi, why didn't you respond to me on that thread? There, I suggested you take moments about one of the points of attachment. For the moment of the beam, you could first find its centre of mass as Voko suggests, but I think you might as well just treat the two arms as separate loads. E.g. consider the section AC. What is its mass? Where is its mass centre? What moment does it have about A?

Related to Beam is suspended on two ropes

1. How does the beam stay suspended on two ropes?

The beam stays suspended on two ropes due to the force of tension acting on the ropes. The weight of the beam creates a downward force, while the ropes create an upward force to balance it out. This results in the beam being held in place and suspended.

2. What is the purpose of using two ropes instead of one to suspend the beam?

Using two ropes allows for a more stable and balanced support for the beam. With one rope, the beam may tilt or sway, but with two ropes, the forces are evenly distributed, providing a stronger support system.

3. How do you calculate the tension in each rope when the beam is suspended?

The tension in each rope can be calculated using the equation T=(W/2)/sinθ, where T is the tension in each rope, W is the weight of the beam, and θ is the angle between the ropes and the vertical. This equation assumes that the ropes are at equal angles and the weight is evenly distributed.

4. What factors can affect the stability of the beam when suspended on two ropes?

The stability of the beam can be affected by the weight of the beam, the angle of the ropes, and the strength and quality of the ropes. Changes in any of these factors can alter the forces acting on the beam and potentially cause it to become unstable.

5. How can variations in the tension of the ropes impact the suspension of the beam?

If the tension in one rope is greater than the other, the beam may become unbalanced and tilt towards the side with higher tension. This can be dangerous and cause the beam to fall. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the tension in both ropes is equal for a stable suspension.