1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam with a moment

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    i have a beam with no constraints. Now i apply a moment at some point in the beam. Now am i correct to say that i need not fix the end of the beam(like a beam inserted in to a wall). instead i could support the end of the beam like a simply supported beam.

because a moment tries to rotate the object with the axis as the point of application of moment. I can always prevent rotation by applying force at some other point(simulating like a simply supported beam).

This disproves the theory that the moment applied at some point of the beam should be supported by a moment at the end of the beam. Instead the beam can be supported by a force at the end of the beam

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

What theory is this?

If you only support the beam by one end, and the support is not embedded (inserted in a wall), then your system is not stable. More equations than unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?