Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bedside Lamp with a mind of it's own

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Last night i awoke in the middle of the night to find that my bedside lamp was on. How is this possible? I don't remember turning it on myself and it's not a touch lamp. It really freaked me out. Is there anyway that it is in fact possible for it to have turned on?!?! Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Beeza.
    My first thought is that you turned it on in your sleep. More specifically, in a temporary state of semi-wakefulness that you don't remember. I've done a lot of things in that state (and managed to avoid charges on most of them :biggrin:).
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help Danger!
    Im sure your right, i just needed someone to confirm it for me! I've unplugged the lamp now so no more nonsense in the middle of the night...although there is the other issue of my tv changing channels on it's own as well... :-p

Thanks again

- Bianca
  5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    I once turned off a light by unscrewing it; I laid down and the light came on!

Yes, it is creepy. I decided that I had just barely unscrewed it and as it cooled, it shifted and re-made contact with the bottom of the socket.

6. Nov 17, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Bianca? Youse a goil? :tongue2:
    If you're serious about the TV changing (while you're awake :wink:), it might just be a matter of an extraneous IR signal from some source other than your remote. Or, it could be a faulty circuit in the remote that causes it to go off spontaneously. I had one malfunction once, in that the buttons performed the wrong operations. That can sometimes be caused by the batteries being low.
  7. Nov 18, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

How much Scotch did you drink before going to bed? :wink:
  8. Nov 18, 2008 #7

Gold Member

You must not be a Scotch drinker. If you were, you would immediately realize that this is in no manner a Scotch-like effect. Should alcohol turn out to be involved, I would suspect tequila as the culprit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?