Calculating Mass of Sand Grains with Given Surface Area for Physics Problem

• Thread starter Gattz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, we need to use the equation for surface area of a sphere, A = 4πr^2, and the equation for volume, V = (4/3)πr^3. We also need to use the equation for mass, M = Vρ, where ρ is the density. After plugging in the given values, we find that the mass of sand grains with a total surface area equal to a 1.0 m cube is approximately 0.25 kg. It is normal to struggle with problems in a physics class, but with practice and determination, you can improve your understanding and succeed in the course.
Gattz

Homework Statement

Grains of fine California beach sand are approximately spheres with an average radius of 50 μm and are made of silicon dioxide, which has a density of 2.5 × 10^3 kg/m^3. What mass of sand grains would have a total surface area (the total area of all the individual spheres) equal to the surface area of a cube 1.0 m on an edge?

Homework Equations

I think I need to use Surface area of sphere A=4pir^2, but no equation was given.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did 4x3x(5e-8)^2 = 3e-16m^2 to find surface area of individual sphere. Then I got 6 by doing surface area of a cube = 6(1)^2. I divided 6m^2 by 3e-16m^2 (Correct me I'm even getting the units right which I don't believe so). Then I got 2e16 (units?). Finally I multiply that by 2.5e3 kg/m^3 and get 5e19. All I know is that the units for final answer is kg, so m^3 gets canceled out some how.

P.S. This is for my general physics calc based class and I feel extremely dumb... If I am having trouble with these problems is that an indicator that I shouldn't be taking this class? I've taken Calc 1 at my community college a year ago, and I did well in that, but now I'm taking Calc 2 and this and I feel like I don't know anything. I don't have a major, but I hear physics course is good to take no matter. This and the algebra physics are basic physics courses so if I'm not doing well here does that mean I can't do physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gattz said:

Homework Statement

Grains of fine California beach sand are approximately spheres with an average radius of 50 μm and are made of silicon dioxide, which has a density of 2.5 × 10^3 kg/m^3. What mass of sand grains would have a total surface area (the total area of all the individual spheres) equal to the surface area of a cube 1.0 m on an edge?

Homework Equations

I think I need to use Surface area of sphere A=4pir^2, but no equation was given.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did 4x3x(5e-8)^2 = 3e-16m^2 to find surface area of individual sphere. Then I got 6 by doing surface area of a cube = 6(1)^2. I divided 6m^2 by 3e-16m^2 (Correct me I'm even getting the units right which I don't believe so). Then I got 2e16 (units?). Finally I multiply that by 2.5e3 kg/m^3 and get 5e19. All I know is that the units for final answer is kg, so m^3 gets canceled out some how.

P.S. This is for my general physics calc based class and I feel extremely dumb... If I am having trouble with these problems is that an indicator that I shouldn't be taking this class? I've taken Calc 1 at my community college a year ago, and I did well in that, but now I'm taking Calc 2 and this and I feel like I don't know anything. I don't have a major, but I hear physics course is good to take no matter. This and the algebra physics are basic physics courses so if I'm not doing well here does that mean I can't do physics?

You should be fine in class. It takes a bit of problem solving to get the hang of it, so just keep on working problems.

Hint #1 -- you need to use: mass = volume * density That is where the m^3 term is handled.

Hint #2 -- there was a very similar thread about this problem a few days ago in this forum...

Okay, I tried doing M=VxD. V=(4/3)pi(5e7)^3 I got the 5e7 by doing 50um/10^-6. So volume is now 5.24e23 m^3. Now I multiplied that by the density (I see that the m^3 cancels), and I get 1.31e27 kg. Now I'm very confused... A grain of sand weighing that much?? What did I do wrong?

Edit - I see what I did. I did 50/10^-6 instead of 50/10^6.

Your value for the radius of the sand grains appears to be off by a factor of 1000.

Wait what do you mean? I got 5e-5 meters as the radius. You mean it's suppose to be 5e-8 or 5e-2?

Gattz said:
Wait what do you mean? I got 5e-5 meters as the radius. You mean it's suppose to be 5e-8 or 5e-2?

50um = 50*10^-6m = 5*10^-?m

BTW, you also used 3 for PI in the original post. You should at least use 3.14.

5e-5 m.

Correct.

Now found surface area 3.14e-8m^2 and divided 1m by that. So that would turn out to be 3.18e7/m. Then I took that multiplied by 6 and got 1.91e8 kg. And got .25kg. Is this right or wrong?

Okay that seems to be right, but can someone go over the units for what I just did? I think I got lost somewhere along that.

Gattz said:

You wrote 5e-8; maybe just a typo.

Oh yeah, in the first post my work was all wrong.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. What are some common topics covered in beginner's physics problems?

Beginner's physics problems often cover topics such as motion, forces, energy, electricity, and magnetism. These are fundamental concepts that form the basis of understanding more complex physics principles.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. It is important to break down problems into smaller, manageable parts and use equations and formulas to solve them.

4. Do I need strong math skills to excel in physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for excelling in physics. Many physics problems involve mathematical calculations and equations, so it is important to have a good understanding of algebra, calculus, and geometry.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, including the design of structures, development of technology, understanding of weather and climate, and advancements in medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and environmental science.