1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner's Physics Problem

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Grains of fine California beach sand are approximately spheres with an average radius of 50 μm and are made of silicon dioxide, which has a density of 2.5 × 10^3 kg/m^3. What mass of sand grains would have a total surface area (the total area of all the individual spheres) equal to the surface area of a cube 1.0 m on an edge?

2. Relevant equations
    I think I need to use Surface area of sphere A=4pir^2, but no equation was given.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I did 4x3x(5e-8)^2 = 3e-16m^2 to find surface area of individual sphere. Then I got 6 by doing surface area of a cube = 6(1)^2. I divided 6m^2 by 3e-16m^2 (Correct me I'm even getting the units right which I don't believe so). Then I got 2e16 (units?). Finally I multiply that by 2.5e3 kg/m^3 and get 5e19. All I know is that the units for final answer is kg, so m^3 gets cancelled out some how.

P.S. This is for my general physics calc based class and I feel extremely dumb... If I am having trouble with these problems is that an indicator that I shouldn't be taking this class? I've taken Calc 1 at my community college a year ago, and I did well in that, but now I'm taking Calc 2 and this and I feel like I don't know anything. I don't have a major, but I hear physics course is good to take no matter. This and the algebra physics are basic physics courses so if I'm not doing well here does that mean I can't do physics?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should be fine in class. It takes a bit of problem solving to get the hang of it, so just keep on working problems.

Hint #1 -- you need to use: mass = volume * density That is where the m^3 term is handled.

Hint #2 -- there was a very similar thread about this problem a few days ago in this forum...

4. Sep 4, 2009 #3
    Okay, I tried doing M=VxD. V=(4/3)pi(5e7)^3 I got the 5e7 by doing 50um/10^-6. So volume is now 5.24e23 m^3. Now I multiplied that by the density (I see that the m^3 cancels), and I get 1.31e27 kg. Now I'm very confused... A grain of sand weighing that much?? What did I do wrong?

Edit - I see what I did. I did 50/10^-6 instead of 50/10^6.

5. Sep 4, 2009 #4

tms

Your value for the radius of the sand grains appears to be off by a factor of 1000.

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5
    Wait what do you mean? I got 5e-5 meters as the radius. You mean it's suppose to be 5e-8 or 5e-2?

7. Sep 4, 2009 #6

berkeman

50um = 50*10^-6m = 5*10^-?m

8. Sep 4, 2009 #7

berkeman

BTW, you also used 3 for PI in the original post. You should at least use 3.14.

9. Sep 4, 2009 #8
    5e-5 m.

10. Sep 4, 2009 #9

berkeman

Correct.

11. Sep 4, 2009 #10
    Now found surface area 3.14e-8m^2 and divided 1m by that. So that would turn out to be 3.18e7/m. Then I took that multiplied by 6 and got 1.91e8 kg. And got .25kg. Is this right or wrong?

Okay that seems to be right, but can someone go over the units for what I just did? I think I got lost somewhere along that.

12. Sep 4, 2009 #11

tms

You wrote 5e-8; maybe just a typo.

13. Sep 4, 2009 #12
    Oh yeah, in the first post my work was all wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook