Bell's Inequality && polarisation for the layman

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasoning behind Bell's Inequality and how it applies to polarization entangled photons. It is determined that there are four different types of polarization entangled photons and that they can be obtained using different sources. Additionally, it is mentioned that measurements at different angles can yield the same matching relationship, as long as they are compared on an "apples to apples" basis.
dbertels
My previous thread on this topic got a bit messy as the gist of the argument was in the middle of the thread and turned out wrong. Hence this new updated version.

One of my favourite articles on Bell's Theorem can be found at
http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/BellsTheorem/BellsTheorem.html.

Even though it is geared towards the laymen, I'm having trouble applying the particle spin example to particle polarisation. I would very much appreciate if anyone could check the following reasoning for me:

Assuming the polarisation filters can be set to 3 angles: -30 degrees, 0 degrees, 30 degrees, I have the following states:

A : polarisation of photon after passing a -30 degree filter in the left detector
!A : polarisation of photon after passing a -30 degree filter in the right detector
B : polarisation of photon after passing a 0 degree filter in the left detector
!B : polarisation of photon after passing a 0 degree filter in the right detector
C : polarisation of photon after passing a 30 degree filter in the left detector
!C : polarisation of photon after passing a 30 degree filter in the right detector

I attach a little sketch here that describes the situation.
BellTheorem_polarisation.jpg

Bell's Inequality states: N(A !B) + N(B !C) >= N(A !C)

Problem I have is that the inequality for polarisation seems to fit for MISMATCHES, i.e for the photons that are NOT matching:

For local reality:
delta 30 degree mismatch + delta 30 degree mismatch >= 2 times delta 30 degree mismatch, or 1/4 + 1/4 >= 1/2
And for entangled photons:
delta 30 degree mismatch + delta 30 degree mismatch >= delta 60 degree mismatch, or 1/4 + 1/4 >= 3/4, which violates Bell's inequality (as it should).

Is this reasoning correct? And if so, why do I need to consider mismatches instead of matches?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dbertels said:
Is this reasoning correct? And if so, why do I need to consider mismatches instead of matches?
This reasoning is correct.
Photons can be entangled in four different ways:
1. the same polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) and the same polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)
2. the same polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) but opposite polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)
3. opposite polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) but the same polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)
4. opposite polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) and opposite polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)
In your example it is assumed that we use polarization entangled photons of the first type.

zonde said:
This reasoning is correct.
Photons can be entangled in four different ways:
1. the same polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) and the same polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)
3. opposite polarization when measured at right angles (0,90,180,-90) but the same polarization at diagonal angles (45, -45, 135, -135)

Polarization entangled photons are rotationally invariant. To me, your 1/3 example is conflicting.

For entanglement via parametric down conversion:
There are Type I crystals, which you use 2 of to obtain entanglement where the pair has the same polarization.
There are Type II crystals, which you use 1 of to obtain entanglement where the pair has the opposite polarization.
There are some variations on those types as well, but the above is typical.

DrChinese said:
Polarization entangled photons are rotationally invariant. To me, your 1/3 example is conflicting.
Polarization entangle photons can be rotationally invariant in two different ways:
- when both analyzers are rotated clockwise or counterclockwise
- when one analyzer is rotated clockwise but the other one is rotated counterclockwise and vice versa.
This is the difference between plus or minus sign in description of entangled states ##\Psi^\pm## and ##\Phi^\pm##

DrChinese said:
For entanglement via parametric down conversion:
There are Type I crystals, which you use 2 of to obtain entanglement where the pair has the same polarization.
There are Type II crystals, which you use 1 of to obtain entanglement where the pair has the opposite polarization.
There are some variations on those types as well, but the above is typical.
You can get any of the four states using any source. Look at this paper by Kwiat: New High-Intensity Source of Polarization-Entangled Photon Pairs
There he describes entangled state written in general form:
##\Psi ^\pm = (|HV\rangle +e^{i\alpha} |VH\rangle)/\sqrt2##
Using an additional birefringent phase shifter (or even slightly rotating the down-conversion crystal itself), the value of ##\alpha ## can be set as desired, e.g., to the values 0 or ##\pi ##. (Somewhat surprisingly, a net phase shift of ##\pi ## may be obtained by a 90o rotation of a quarter wave plate in one of the paths.) Similarly, a half wave plate in one path can be used to change horizontal polarization to vertical and vice versa. One can thus very easily produce any of the four EPR-Bell states,
##\Psi ^\pm = (|HV\rangle \pm |VH\rangle)/\sqrt2##
##\Phi ^\pm = (|HH\rangle \pm |VV\rangle)/\sqrt2##

zonde said:
Polarization entangle photons can be rotationally invariant in two different ways:
- when both analyzers are rotated clockwise or counterclockwise
- when one analyzer is rotated clockwise but the other one is rotated counterclockwise and vice versa.
This is the difference between plus or minus sign in description of entangled states ##\Psi^\pm## and ##\Phi^\pm##You can get any of the four states using any source. Look at this paper by Kwiat: New High-Intensity Source of Polarization-Entangled Photon Pairs
There he describes entangled state written in general form:
##\Psi ^\pm = (|HV\rangle +e^{i\alpha} |VH\rangle)/\sqrt2##
Using an additional birefringent phase shifter (or even slightly rotating the down-conversion crystal itself), the value of ##\alpha ## can be set as desired, e.g., to the values 0 or ##\pi ##. (Somewhat surprisingly, a net phase shift of ##\pi ## may be obtained by a 90o rotation of a quarter wave plate in one of the paths.) Similarly, a half wave plate in one path can be used to change horizontal polarization to vertical and vice versa. One can thus very easily produce any of the four EPR-Bell states,
##\Psi ^\pm = (|HV\rangle \pm |VH\rangle)/\sqrt2##
##\Phi ^\pm = (|HH\rangle \pm |VV\rangle)/\sqrt2##

Measurements at 0 and 90 degrees should yield the same matching relationship as measurements at -45 and 45 degrees on an apples to apples basis. I agree that you can also shift the relationship as desired ##\alpha##. And there may be tricks you can play that otherwise change the usual dependence on theta.

I think you are saying that in some Bell states: Measurements at 0 and 90 degrees yield the opposite matching relationship as measurements at 45 and -45 degrees respectively. Is that the nuance you are referring to? I am not sure I am following.

DrChinese said:
Measurements at 0 and 90 degrees should yield the same matching relationship as measurements at -45 and 45 degrees on an apples to apples basis. I agree that you can also shift the relationship as desired ##\alpha##. And there may be tricks you can play that otherwise change the usual dependence on theta.
You can calculate theta by subtracting two angles or by adding two angles.

DrChinese said:
I think you are saying that in some Bell states: Measurements at 0 and 90 degrees yield the opposite matching relationship as measurements at 45 and -45 degrees respectively. Is that the nuance you are referring to? I am not sure I am following.
Yes, that's the point.

zonde said:
Yes, that's the point.

1. So I would conclude that Measurements at 0 and 90 degrees should yield the same matching relationship as measurements at -45 and 45 degrees (in my previous post).

2. I guess I don't follow how -45 and 45 degrees ends up different with a different relationship than 45 and -45 degrees respectively. My poor brain can't picture this. I have seen your reference before, guess I better re-read.

zonde said:

zonde said:
In your example it is assumed that we use polarization entangled photons of the first type.

Thanks Zonde, sorry to bring this back to basics (as the current discussion is no doubt more meaningful), but can you please explain how you connect my situation (0, 30, -30) to your first entanglement situation?

dbertels said:
The number of matches and mismatches are related N=mismatches + matches.

The correlation which is in [-1,1] is defined as

( matches - mismatches)/( matches+mismatches) = ( matches - mismatches)/N

Likes dbertels
dbertels said:
Thanks Zonde, sorry to bring this back to basics (as the current discussion is no doubt more meaningful), but can you please explain how you connect my situation (0, 30, -30) to your first entanglement situation?
Look at formula (10) in this paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0205171
##P_{VV}(\alpha,\beta)=\frac{1}{2}cos^2(\beta-\alpha)##
This formula describes correlation for my first entanglement type. You can plug in the angles from your example and get the numbers you where using.

Likes dbertels
Thanks for all your help - that was really useful..

What is Bell's Inequality?

Bell's Inequality is a mathematical concept that was developed by physicist John Stewart Bell in the 1960s. It is a way to test whether a system follows the principles of classical physics or quantum mechanics.

What is polarisation?

Polarisation is a property of waves, such as light, that describes the direction of their oscillations. In simple terms, it refers to the alignment of the electromagnetic waves in a specific direction.

How do Bell's Inequality and polarisation relate to each other?

Bell's Inequality can be used to test if a system follows the principles of classical physics or quantum mechanics. Polarisation is one of the properties that can be measured to test this inequality. If the polarization of a system violates Bell's Inequality, it suggests that the system is following the principles of quantum mechanics.

Can you give an example of how Bell's Inequality and polarisation are related?

One example of how Bell's Inequality and polarisation are related is through the phenomenon of entangled particles. When two particles are entangled, their polarisations are correlated, meaning if one particle's polarisation is measured in a certain direction, the other particle's polarisation will be the opposite. This correlation can be used to test Bell's Inequality and determine if the system is following the principles of quantum mechanics.

Why is it important to study Bell's Inequality and polarisation?

Studying Bell's Inequality and polarisation is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of our universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. By understanding these concepts, we can push the boundaries of science and technology in new and exciting ways.