Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Moment on Pole due to Wind

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Hello Friends.

I have a question for the following scenario:

There are two wooden poles, both set into the ground so that they are sticking straight up. The height of Pole One is H1 feet. The height of the Pole 2 is H2 feet. Supported in between these two poles is a wire. The ends of the wire is attached to the top of each pole. The wire has a total length of L and is pretty straight.

Now imagine that a wind is blowing, exactly perpendicular to the wire. What is the bending moment at the base of Poles 1 and 2 due to this wind blowing on the wire? (Please ignore the bending moment due to wind blowing on the pole surfaces). Assume the wind loading on the conductor is W lbs/foot.

My idea: I think that if the attachment height at the poles were the same, lets say "H", then the moment at the base of each pole would be: (H)(W)(L)(0.5). But when the attachment heights are different, I don't know how to calculate that! Any help is tremendously appreciated! Thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted