Bending Moments and max deflection

In summary, the person is looking for help with a problem regarding derived formulas for a supported beam. They have found the max bending moment to be M=PL/4, but are struggling to find the correct equation for max deflection, with their current calculation resulting in δ=(PL3)/(24EI). They believe they may be making a mistake with the boundary conditions and are seeking assistance. A diagram of the scenario is requested for clarification. This is a self-study task.
Brooks18
Please could some help me get around this problem I know the derived formulas are all over the internet, but I wanted to prove it out myself. Its for a supported beam 2 end beam, worked out the max bending moment is M=PL/4. However I just can't seem to get the max deflection equation of δ=(PL3)/(48EI) and dv/dx. I keep getting δ=(PL3)/(24EI), I know its probably a stupid mistake I'm making to do with the boundary conditions. If anyone can help point out where I'm going wrong that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Brooks18 said:
Please could some help me get around this problem I know the derived formulas are all over the internet, but I wanted to prove it out myself. Its for a supported beam 2 end beam, worked out the max bending moment is M=PL/4. However I just can't seem to get the max deflection equation of δ=(PL3)/(48EI) and dv/dx. I keep getting δ=(PL3)/(24EI), I know its probably a stupid mistake I'm making to do with the boundary conditions. If anyone can help point out where I'm going wrong that would be great.
Welcome to the PF.

Could you post a diagram about the scenario? This sounds like more of a studying task rather than an assigned homework problem, right? :sorry:

1. What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the amount of force applied to a structural element, such as a beam or column, causing it to bend or deflect.

2. How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a structural element by the distance between the point of force application and the point of support or fixed end.

3. What is the maximum deflection in a beam?

The maximum deflection in a beam is the greatest distance that the beam will bend or sag under a given load. It is typically measured in inches or millimeters.

4. How is maximum deflection determined?

Maximum deflection is determined by analyzing the structural properties of the beam, such as its length, cross-sectional shape, and material composition, as well as the magnitude and distribution of the applied load.

5. What factors affect bending moments and maximum deflection?

The factors that affect bending moments and maximum deflection include the type of load applied, the geometry and material properties of the structural element, and the constraints or supports at the ends of the element.