1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending moments diagram at T intersection

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw the axial force, shear force and bending moment diagrams. Show the locations and magnitude of the maximum and minimum values.

2. Relevant equations

See diagram.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out the values from points A-B and then from points B-D. I don't grasp how I am suppose to approach the T intersection at point D. Should I evaluate it from D-E and treat the post from D-F as a pin joint, with values of 36.13kN and 15.13kN?

Then do the joint D-F after? If the D-E sections wasn't there I would just continue working around from D-F next, but because it is I'm not sure of how to work it out?

Any help would be heaps appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Section DE is just a cantilever. If you cut a section thru DE in a FBD that includes the 10 kN force, the shear and moment at that section are easily calculated (no axial force). In DF, your FBD is similar to that of AB ( but with different values).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook