Bending Stress in Top of T-Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a T-Beam made of steel with a Young's modulus of 200GPa. The goal is to find the maximum bending stress on the right side of the beam where there is no glue. A load of 80KG is applied at point "A" shown on the top view and the beam is supported in the center. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the moment of inertia and distance from the neutral axis, but the results seem too high. The conversation then discusses the possibility of a mistake in the calculations and suggests adding moments in the y and x directions to find the total bending stress. Ultimately, it is advised to check the allowable stress for the material being used before drawing any
tsslaporte

Homework Statement

T-Beam is Steel with E=200GPa

Find Max bending stress MC/I (right side where no glue)[/B]
MxcOwAK.png

80KG Load at Point "A" shown on the Top view

Blue stuff is glue, the right side has no Glue, so its just empty space

2. The attempt at a solution

I = BH^3/12 , where B = 0.04m H = 0.004
So I = 2.13 * 10^-10 m^4
C = 0.029m
M = 784.8 N * 0.024m = 18.8352 n-m

Solving that out I get 2.573 GPa which seems too high as steel can only see in MPa of stress.

So I'm not sure if the number I got is correct or I did something wrong with my calculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MxcOwAK.png

The Beam is Supported in the center.

The Bending is happening not on the axis I assumed, the force is not in the center so

I = 0.08* 0.004^2 and C = 0.002

Now I get 88.29 MPa

tsslaporte said:
MxcOwAK.png

The Beam is Supported in the center.

The Bending is happening not on the axis I assumed, the force is not in the center so

I = 0.08* 0.004^2 and C = 0.002

Now I get 88.29 MPa

It's not clear what you are trying to do here. What is this point load and why is it applied to the flange of the beam?

Your expression for I seems to be incorrect, or at least it is unfamiliar to me. Have you checked to make sure the units make sense?

Your calculated bending stress values lack meaning if you don't know what stress the beam material is capable of withstanding without permanent deformation.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you are trying to do here. What is this point load and why is it applied to the flange of the beam?

Your expression for I seems to be incorrect, or at least it is unfamiliar to me. Have you checked to make sure the units make sense?

Your calculated bending stress values lack meaning if you don't know what stress the beam material is capable of withstanding without permanent deformation.

Hey,

The Beam is rigidly held in place except for the right side, so can assume a simple beam,(Square/rectangle) so I= BH^3/12 is correct.

I actually am still wrong, there is a moment in the y and x, I need to add them to find total bending stress.

tsslaporte said:
Hey,

The Beam is rigidly held in place except for the right side, so can assume a simple beam,(Square/rectangle) so I= BH^3/12 is correct.

I actually am still wrong, there is a moment in the y and x, I need to add them to find total bending stress.
I don't think I'd worry too much about the eccentric 'point' load a few mm off center in the y direction . I'd do it as you had in your original post after correcting the 'c' distance to .002m and checking your steel allowable stress for the material being used, as SteamKing noted .

Related to Bending Stress in Top of T-Beam

1. What is bending stress in a top T-beam?

Bending stress in a top T-beam refers to the amount of stress or force exerted on the top portion of a T-shaped beam when a load is applied. This type of stress is caused by the beam's resistance to bending or flexing under the applied load.

2. How is bending stress calculated in a top T-beam?

The bending stress in a top T-beam can be calculated using the formula σ = (M * y) / I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect bending stress in a top T-beam?

The amount of bending stress in a top T-beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and location of the applied load, the shape and size of the beam, and the material properties of the beam, such as its yield strength and modulus of elasticity.

4. How does bending stress impact the design of a top T-beam?

Bending stress is an important factor to consider in the design of a top T-beam because it can cause the beam to deform or fail if it exceeds the beam's maximum stress capacity. Engineers must carefully calculate the bending stress and choose appropriate materials and dimensions to ensure the beam can safely support the expected load.

5. What are some methods for reducing bending stress in a top T-beam?

There are several methods for reducing bending stress in a top T-beam, including increasing the beam's size or using a different material with a higher yield strength, adding support beams or columns to distribute the load, and using structural analysis software to optimize the beam's design. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help identify and address potential sources of bending stress in a top T-beam.